Age limit for 65+ claims — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Age limit for 65+ claims

hasnaa499
hasnaa499 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi i don’t know if anyone can help me out here, my grandma is 81 years and recently claimed for her circumstances to be reviewed by DLA as her condition had worsened which she eventually got awarded with higher rate personal care, the problem is why she isn’t entitled to the mobility scheme? People 65+ have the need to frequently visit doctors/hospitals and a taxi may not always be a car that is suitable for the needs of someone who cannot climb into a car that is either too high or low off the ground, is there anyone who’s having the same problem or knows of any appeal or tribunals that can help? Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The reason she's not entitled to the mobility part of DLA is because she's now over state pension age and the mobility part can not be awarded because of this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hasnaa499
    Hi thanks for the reply, yes I’ve been informed of that law regarding its age limit however that seems like age discrimination, people 65+ should also have equal opportunities with some sort of help getting around, i was wondering if there was a way of appealing against this decision.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason is because it's related to age and a lot of people experience mobility issues after a certain age.

Appealing isn't going to help because she can't be awarded any mobility part because of her age.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hasnaa499, I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help you with this. If you need anymore guidance then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• hasnaa499
    Yes thank you she did, I did believe there was nothing that can happen about this matter as it’s how the system works but just wanted to give it a go in case there was an alternative, for peace of mind :) 
    anyway I do hope this law is reconsidered at some point in the future 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem, I'm glad she could help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.