Losing child benefit on UC. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Losing child benefit on UC.

pigeon55
pigeon55 Community member Posts: 116 Courageous
My daughter has finished full time education August. Do I lose the child benefit amount in my monthly payment no she has started work.
Regards 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Child benefit isn't part of UC, it's paid separately. If you mean the child element then yes, if she's now finished full time non advanced education then you won't be entitled to either of those payments. All changes must be reported.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help. If there is anything else we can do to help then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• pigeon55
    Thanks for the reply.  I find it hard to understand that we lose child benefit and my uc allowance of 400 per month has my daughter has finished education.  Our income has not increased yet we are penalised.  I'm in the group were I get paid for being unable to work so its not like I can do more work to cover the lose.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @pigeon55. I believe they see it as your daughter is no longer a dependant child so can support herself / you don't need to financially support her. 
    You'll only lose the elements that were for her. You will still continue to receive the allowance for you and your disability elements. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    First qualifying young person is £277.08 per month, if she is your only child then this will be the amount you would lose from your UC payments each month. Child benefit is an extra £20.70 per week for the eldest child and paid separately.

As your daughter is now a non dependent and working herself, she is meant to pay you money for living with you, to help pay for her food etc.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pigeon55
    Sounds right but that doesn't happen in the real world. But thanks for your advice 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Unfortunately, she's no longer dependent on you so your benefits for her stop. It would cost her a lot more if she lived alone.
  • pigeon55
    Yes I understand your comments. Just find it difficult to take on board that I lost my ESA after 12 months appealed and it took 16 months all together to appeal then lost. Claimed uc had medical assessment found unfit for work. And now after having a good job for years paying my contributions find my life a financial struggle and get penalised by other people's situations.  But I'm probably not the only one. Let's just hope I don't lose my pip and the basic industrial benefit or we will be in real trouble.  Many thanks for your comments 
  • poppy123456
    You will only lose the child element of UC. You won't lose any other element, your standard allowance and any other elements on top of that will remain the same.
  • pigeon55
    My wife has been  caring for her mother.  Next week  she goes into care home will I lose the benefit added to my uc benefit for this as well. If so due to my wife working I'll receive nothing. As the benefit I receive for not working will all be swallowed up in there calculations. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, if she's been claiming the carers element then she won't be entitled to claim this unless she's caring for someone for at least 35 hours per week. Unless you claim a qualifying benefit yourself such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then she won't be entitled to this element. It's £160.20 per month.

Your industrial injuries benefit reduces your UC £1 for £1.
  • pigeon55
    I get pip daily living so she can claim for me then. That will help. I lose 155 per month for receiving disembelement payment.  Thank you 
  • pigeon55
    I've looked into cares allowance and due to new job she earns more than 125 per week so she won't be eligible 
  • poppy123456
    Yes she can still claim the carers element for you but she will need to report the changes that she'll be claiming for yourself.

There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance anyway because it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. The only advantage to claiming it will be the class 1 NI credits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.