Child tax credits - sons turned 18 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child tax credits - sons turned 18

Derbymduck
Derbymduck Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
Hi, does anybody know if you have to inform tax credits when your child turns 18 or not? I can't seem to find anything on the government website. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They will already know his age so you don't need to inform them. Providing he remains in full time non advanced education your tax credits will continue until he reaches his 20th birthday. You just need to inform them each summer, if he's remaining in education.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Derbymduck
    Thanks for replying. He's finished college now and in employment.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for replying. He's finished college now and in employment.
    No problem. Have you reported those changes? You won't be entitled to any benefits for him now because he's a non dependent. If you're claiming housing benefit then you also need to report those changes to your local council. A non dependent deduction will apply unless you're claiming a qualifying benefit that excludes you from this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Derbymduck
    No I haven't reported any changes yet, hope I'm not going to be in trouble with anyone and end up owing money. My husband gets income based ESA for both of us and we get child tax credits that's our only income. Do you have any idea of how our housing benefit will be affected with our son working? thanks
  • poppy123456
    All changes must be reported, it says this on all letters. You will have an overpayment of child tax credits and child benefit.

How long has he been working for?

Non dependent deductions for housing benefit will depend on how much he earns per week. As you haven't reported the changes to your local council, you will also have an overpayment for that.

• poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    In another thread it states that you claim PIP, although there could possibly be an error. Do either yourself or your partner claim daily living PIP?

• Derbymduck
    I've just had my mandatory reconsideration letter through that states I've been awarded 11 points for daily living which is the lower level and 12 mobility which is the enhanced. I've been querying the decision because the letter starts off by saying that I haven't been awarded PIP, a bit of a contradiction hence the possible error
  • poppy123456
    If you're awarded the daily living part of PIP then non dependent deductions for housing benefit will not apply to you. Please see link above.

You will of course need to contact HMRC first thing tomorrow to report that your son is no longer in education. Your tax credits and child benefit will then stop and you'll have an over payment from the time he started working. Once you know how much the overpayment is you can then speak to HMRC again to arrange to pay it back by installments.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.