Pip awarded — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip awarded

oldbanger
oldbanger Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi 

I got the dreaded letter that DLA was ending and that I needed to apply for PIP in May, filled in the forms and sent them off, then I did the pip test online which came back as standard daily living and standard mobility.
I started to worry as this meant the car would have to go back (I don’t drive anymore but I have my daughters on the Motability car as they take me everywhere)

I suppose I am not the only one who has then gone online and seen all the horror stories of people loosing their entire awards and having to go to tribunal.

I lost my appetite, couldn’t sleep, was in constant pain and my stress levels went through the roof and this was even before I had the assessment.

In July I had a home assessment, the OT who was assessing me seemed nice, she took time to ask all her questions and patiently waiting for my replies, she kept asking further questions to my answers, which at the time I didn’t understand why, just thought she was trying to trick me.
She asked about All my aids and adaptations I had and typed each one, she was extremely interested in the ones recommended by my OT (my wet room, downstairs bedroom, wheelchair etc)

I finally received the brown envelope yesterday,  sat there for about 20 minutes just looking at it before opening it.

I now understand why she was further questioning me, she was actually trying to help me.

I have been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility for 3 years and just wanted to let you all know that not all assessors are bad, some actually want to help us.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldbanger and welcome to the community! This is amazing news! Its always refreshing to hear positive PIP stories!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @oldbanger! I love hearing positive stories of PIP. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Hi .....I,m glad it went well for you oldbanger. I had my face to face assessment 4 weeks ago . The lady from pip ( capita) was very nice , very professional but very nice . I await the dreafec brown envelope coming through the door , thats 4 weeks today but she said it could take up to 8 weeks . 
    I,m glad to read that some of the assessors do not use the thumbscrews now and are not so robust in their ' interigation ' these days .  I dreaded getting my face to face even though it was done in my own home ( as i am deaf ) .but the questions were ok i thought . 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's great news @oldbanger. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.