How to get a part-time job with a physical disability (CP)? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get a part-time job with a physical disability (CP)?

Dancinginthemoon
Dancinginthemoon Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi, 

I have cerebral palsy affecting my left arm and leg (left hemiplegia) and I would like to get a part-time job whilst at university, but my problem is I get very anxious about applying for job that would involve motor skills, e.g. being a waitress and carrying trays or picking up glasses or stacking up boxes etc in a store, because whilst I know I could pick up glasses with my right hand which is unaffected by CP, I am scared that employers will want someone who could do the job quicker etc and also that I would get frustrated by not being able to do the job "as good as everyone else" (these are just my own self-conscious thoughts, I don't mean it applies to all people with disabilities or anything, just talking about myself).

I have looked for work which doesn't involve such physical tasks, like carrying stuff, but there isn't a lot and the stuff I applied for I didn't get as I haven't had a paid job for years, though I have done voluntary work, because I had to spend some time in hospital and recovering from a condition (not due to my CP).

I would be more than happy to do the tasks I know I could do, customer service, tills, making coffees etc, but I don't have a clue how to express this on applications forms and whether this is possible? If anyone knows anything I would be grateful to know and also if anybody has experienced similar issues and/or feelings, I would love to hear from you! 

Thanks in advance :) 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about freelance work? I have dyscalculia and I work as a self employed childcare provider. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dancinginthemoon, I have just graduated from university and I also have left hemiplegia. Finding a job was something I believed was just not possible as my CP would mean that being a waitress or working in a bar really would not be practical for myself!

Does your students' union or university hire students as staff? I found this a great way to get work and be around people who already knew me. I had several roles for the students' union which didn't involve carrying things, more organising events. My university also hired student ambassadors to help with events and open days.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness