Do you watch reality TV? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you watch reality TV?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
I’ve never watched a lot of reality TV, it hasn’t really ever appealed to me. But my other half is a fan of The Circle ⭕️ and with it now back on the box, it’s become bit of a guilty pleasure of mine!

Do you watch reality TV and if so, what do you enjoy?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love Strictly! Not a fan of reality TV shows however. 
  • phoenix46
    phoenix46 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I really can’t stand watching any reality programs. I watched big brothers very first series and the celebrity jungles first series but it ended there lol x
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    I watched the first series of Big Brother as well, back then it was a novelty for TV. I sometimes find myself watching american shows such as Storage Wars and Hardcore Pawn. The earliest reality TV show I ever watched was Cops which has been going for a very long time!

Anything else reality related would be from watching various YouTube channels.

• phoenix46
    phoenix46 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Gosh I forgot about cops. That was good. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I loved The Circle last year and it's something I am enjoyed this time around as well! Even managed to get my sister and mum hooked...
    Scope

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope hope you're ready for the Circle final tonight! I'm still reeling from Ella's blocking ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have never watched reality TV perhaps i'm too old for it lol. Having said that I watch very little TV finding it boring and repetitive.I much prefer a good film on you tube or prime
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not usually a fan of reality TV...but did get fully immersed in the Circle both this year and last year!

Spoiler warning - 

I was really surprised by the final outcome tbh, hadn't guessed it all.  I honestly thought Paddy was going to get blocked on Thursday night which would have changed the whole final!  He absolutely is a deserving winner though, his attitude to life is fantastic despite his disability!!  

Feel like I'm going to get Circle withdrawl now though lol...it was surprisingly educational, as well as Woody & Ella's constant positivity being infectious!  Losing Henry from Bake Off this week as well makes it doubly sad!  Still, I've rediscovered some forgotten Fatboy Slim songs which have been added to the car mix. :D
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never watched the Circle, but I do enjoy the odd reality programme.  I recently watched Celebs Go Dating for the first time and loved it!  Found it really funny!  I used to love Strictly, but don't watch it now.  I also used to like Celebrity Big Brother, but stopped watching the ordinary one.  I enjoy the Great British Bake Off and look forward to I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here every year, but can't watch the eating challenges!  So I guess I would be classed as a bit of a "reality junkie", lol!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cressida, @OverlyAnxious and @Adrian_Scope, I certainly am going to miss The Circle! I agree with you @Cressida and @OverlyAnxious, that blocking was intense!!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Really agree @Cressida, I was very surprised Tim let Ella go. I really liked him but I think he played a bigger game than he revealed, there were times he almost seemed to be playing the audience too! 
    I've been trying to guess what would have happened in the final if Ella had stayed as well @OverlyAnxious, I think that would have probably secured it for Woody or Tim. 

If anyone has any suggestions for a replacement guilty pleasure-worthy show, let me know!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • andy7
    andy7 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    i get over anxious wating reality tv
  • Adrian_Scope
    What do you prefer to watch @andy7? :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • andy7
    i watch the drama channel on freeview
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited October 2019
    andy7 said:
    i watch the drama channel on freeview
    Is it the murder mysteries or the classic sitcoms you prefer?  I like Drama, just wish the ad breaks weren't so long!  I've forgotten the plot time the program comes back! :D
  • OverlyAnxious

If anyone has any suggestions for a replacement guilty pleasure-worthy show, let me know!
    Still got two weeks of Bake Off left!  And this years 'The Apprentice' has just started if that's of any interest to you...

My current guilty pleasure program is Plebs on ITV2.  :D   Does have the odd trigger for me (as you'd expect from a Roman sitcom!) but they're easy to pre-empt and look away.
  • ash5896
    ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Absolutely hate reality tv. I was a fan of BGT but that’s way old now and repetitive. 
    There is no originality in programs anymore. I used to watch big brother only due to not having a choice as my wife was a big fan. After the racism incident she stopped watching it too.
    I like to watch drama as an example I think The Bodyguard was a fantastic program. If the BBC produced my programs like that I’d stop grumbling about the licence fee. It’s all repeats on the BBC. 
    I enjoy watching programs about history, wildlife and game shows. 
    I enjoy watching I’m a celebrity get me out of here but it’s not something that would bother me if I missed it. 
    Gogglebox is a good program and original which I see American tv is now producing too. It’s usually the other way round. 
    Quiz shows are good like The chase, Gold Rings and Catchphrase. The whole family can get involved with them and they are good fun.
    Documentaries on history channel and Discovery are great too. 
    Ash 
  • andy7
    @OverlyAnxious...i watch the old sitcoms,ie birds of a feather,pie in the sky,fresh fields,all ctreatures greatt and small,allo allo...il watch them over n over again,,i get to upset watching murdermystieries as i have had 11 heart attacks,2 failed bypasses,10 pacemakers since i was 23.now have MS or some neuropathic probs,it was diagnosed as MS then changed,now just left as none specific chronic pain syndrome n disacharged me,i just dont like watching death in anything
  • andy7
    just read above @Adrian_Scope,,,im not used to all this new fangled at thing sorry
  • OverlyAnxious
    andy7 said:
    @OverlyAnxious...i watch the old sitcoms,ie birds of a feather,pie in the sky,fresh fields,all ctreatures greatt and small,allo allo...il watch them over n over again,,i get to upset watching murdermystieries as i have had 11 heart attacks,2 failed bypasses,10 pacemakers since i was 23.now have MS or some neuropathic probs,it was diagnosed as MS then changed,now just left as none specific chronic pain syndrome n disacharged me,i just dont like watching death in anything
    Ah I see, that makes sense. :)   It's the sitcoms I prefer too, they're usually good for avoiding any triggers and anything with a bit of humour is good for low mood!

I did like trying to solve murder mysteries but they contain too many triggers so don't often risk those any more. 

Brightness