Employment support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment support

boxoffrog
boxoffrog Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2019 in Work and employment
hi, I have recently learned that anxiety is considered a disability if it is on going. I have struggled with this for around 15 years and it is getting worse. I don't know how to get extra support at work.  I am a probation officer and deal with those with drug and alcohol addiction. I love my actual job but the political side is what triggers the anxiety attacks.  any advice would be welcome! Bx

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome and I feel you. Me too! Recently returned to work and it's a ob I love but like you the politics triggers. I avoid those situations like the plague. On the days I can't I feel likerunning away lol! I try to walk away from drama. I know where alk the Loosc are and go there for a break if I need it. I use distraction techniques like mindfulness and breathing exercises. I try to say to myself not my circus not my monkeys ? it's really important to do a job you enjoy when you have anxiety I think. Regarding getting extra support, there must be someone who deals with health issues at work even if it's your line manager? Occupational health? I didn't tell my manager until I had been absent about my health issues about one year after I started there. I kept thinking the worst would happen but it was fine. I'm very private about it because I don't want people to think I'm not capable. Good luck x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boxoffrog and a very warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. :)

Here are some articles on support in the workplace that you might find helpful:
    Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness