Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Employment support

boxoffrogboxoffrog Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2019 in Employment and careers
hi, I have recently learned that anxiety is considered a disability if it is on going. I have struggled with this for around 15 years and it is getting worse. I don't know how to get extra support at work.  I am a probation officer and deal with those with drug and alcohol addiction. I love my actual job but the political side is what triggers the anxiety attacks.  any advice would be welcome! Bx

Replies

• debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome and I feel you. Me too! Recently returned to work and it's a ob I love but like you the politics triggers. I avoid those situations like the plague. On the days I can't I feel likerunning away lol! I try to walk away from drama. I know where alk the Loosc are and go there for a break if I need it. I use distraction techniques like mindfulness and breathing exercises. I try to say to myself not my circus not my monkeys 😁 it's really important to do a job you enjoy when you have anxiety I think. Regarding getting extra support, there must be someone who deals with health issues at work even if it's your line manager? Occupational health? I didn't tell my manager until I had been absent about my health issues about one year after I started there. I kept thinking the worst would happen but it was fine. I'm very private about it because I don't want people to think I'm not capable. Good luck x
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boxoffrog and a very warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. :)

Here are some articles on support in the workplace that you might find helpful:
    Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.