home care charges — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

home care charges

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, I posted about this recently, but cant find it to update you.
They said we had to pay £83.20 a week, towards my care package.

I looked at their workings and found an error.....that brought the amount down to £57.22 a week. I`m trying to fight it, as for 8 years I`ve been charged nothing. It`s a hell of a jump from nil to £57.22!

I have to start paying it now, or there wont be enough money to pay my carers!
Nice!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pollyanna1052, thank you for updating us about this. I imagine it came as a shock. Did they say why you now have to contribute financially?
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    I dont understand their reason....something to do with the fact that I get a respite payment.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Oh okay @pollyanna1052, I imagine this is stressful for you! I hope they make things clearer for you. :)
    Scope

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Payments towards care costs seem to be based upon only some of our outgoings but all of any sort of income and certainly do not include ANY cost for special equipment. It is not a fair system and, as all complaints are handled internally, there is little point in complaining as all mistakes, errors or inconsistencies are whitewashed and likely to get a person labelled as difficult or problematic. A few years ago I was left without a doctor or access to medication for 3 months while I argued to get the support I had been assessed as needing but not given. After getting nowhere I wrote to my MP who, after suggesting I make a considerable effort I wasn't capable of to fit in with his routine, merely forwarded my complaint back to Social Care who immediately whitewashed the whole thing and complimented the Social Worker for her efforts. I kid you not, they really complemented her for her "great efforts above and beyond". Soon after this I was labelled in their records as physically, emotionally and sexually abusive which I only found out about by accident a year later.

I wish you more luck than I have had and hope things improve.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont understand their reason....something to do with the fact that I get a respite payment.
    Can you ring them on Monday to talk about their error or not? If not I recommend switching companies. 
  • pollyanna1052
    switching companies?,,,,I`m talking about the local council........cant switch them! Perhaps you hadnt realised that is who deals with my care plan charges April. Thankyou for offering help.xx
  • pollyanna1052
    Topkitten said:
    Payments towards care costs seem to be based upon only some of our outgoings but all of any sort of income and certainly do not include ANY cost for special equipment. It is not a fair system and, as all complaints are handled internally, there is little point in complaining as all mistakes, errors or inconsistencies are whitewashed and likely to get a person labelled as difficult or problematic. A few years ago I was left without a doctor or access to medication for 3 months while I argued to get the support I had been assessed as needing but not given. After getting nowhere I wrote to my MP who, after suggesting I make a considerable effort I wasn't capable of to fit in with his routine, merely forwarded my complaint back to Social Care who immediately whitewashed the whole thing and complimented the Social Worker for her efforts. I kid you not, they really complemented her for her "great efforts above and beyond". Soon after this I was labelled in their records as physically, emotionally and sexually abusive which I only found out about by accident a year later.

I wish you more luck than I have had and hope things improve.

TK
    Hi Topkitten, I knew you`d suffered with authority from last posts.
    We are banging our heads against a brick wall. But it`s good to be able to vent here. I though, if my respite fund has  caused me to pay the weekly charge, I would tell them not to pay me it. Did this and they say it makes no difference. So in effect I am paying almost £3k in charges, to get £2184. in respite payment. Cant rationalise with these guys.
    No wonder you feel so aggrieved...me too!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @pollyanna1052, have you been able to find out why you are now being asked for a contribution? I hope you are doing okay. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    Hi Chloe, I rang my finance charging office on monday I was in tears as hubby isnt handling it well. I asked for someone to come out an explain. I was told they will try to get someone to viisst us in 2 weeks time.
    I asked why this has happened. He said it is also due to respite fund...???? I said I thought DLA cant be used for means testing. He said it can for care charges.

They said they should have been charging me before but made an error...???
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @pollyanna1052, I'm sorry to hear this, I can see why it would be stressful for you all. I haven't heard of this before, but I don't know everything about this. I am tagging @Joanne_Scope to see if she is able to offer more information.
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @pollyanna1052,

I am sorry hear that you are going through a rough time!

Unfortunately under the Care Act 2014 Local Authorities have to take into account the Daily Living component of PIP and the Care component of DLA when they carry out a financial assessment for care costs. The mobility component should be disregarded.

If they have not been doing this up to now then you can argue that this was an official error on their part, but I suspect they will take it into account going forward.

They have to take into account disability related expenditure but what counts under this seems to vary from area to area.

They also have to work out your minimum income, in much the same way as benefits calculations use an applicable amount that they say is the minimum you should be left with to live on, and they have to leave you with at least that amount.

Have you asked for a break down of your charges to check that everything is correct? Also, make sure that they are taking into account enough disability related expenditure eg. extra heating costs if you house bound, extra electric if you are washing more etc.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    Thankyou for your speedy reply Joanne.

Yes, I now know about them taking DLA care component into action, but didnt before!

It was their error that has shocked us....it would have been a smaller charge than this sudden £57.22 a week.

We have been told they will take my hubby`s income rather than mine into consideration when they re-assess us in the not too far away future I hope.

I believe they have included things such as laundry, extra bedding and clothing needed.

xxxx
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @pollyanna1052,

The financial assessment should only take your husband's income into account if you claim a shared benefit. Then they will count half of that benefit towards your assessment.

They can't look at his income rather than your's when they re-assess. 

Sorry if I have misread your last post and this is not what you meant!

Joanne 
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    sorry Joanne, but the finance charging officer did tell me they could do the assessment on hubby`s income and it would save us a little in care charges. I dont believe I misunderstood him.

Brightness