DLA PIP increase, Can I apply to be compensated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA PIP increase, Can I apply to be compensated?

Options
Anthony7081
Anthony7081 Community member Posts: 8 Listener

Hi all,

I was recently moved over from DLA to PIP, and after much dread, was awarded the enhanced rate, which is great.

I have had DLA since I was a baby, but always though I was wrongly assed, and should have been on higher rate DLV. (was getting High care, low mobility)

I was always scared to change this when I got older, as my sister (has the exact same disabilities as myself) was only receiving lower care and lower mobility.

Now I’ve been moved over to PIP and assed fairly, I was wondering if I would be entitled to ask for the difference between what they paid me, and the higher rate DLA going back for x years as I have obviously been receiving the wrong payment,

My conditions are genetic, and have never changed since birth.

Thanks for any help provided.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Anthony7081 & welcome to this forum. Please just ask if you have any questions you would like answering. If it's about benefits you feel you should receive there's a very knowledgeable person here.

If you might say what problems you, or a family member is facing, then you might receive answers, but whatever your circumstances, please know that the members of this group will do their very best in offering their support.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Great news on your PIP award, it's always nice to hear positive stories. However, i'm afraid you definitely won't be able to claim back any extra money because that's not how it works.

When you were claiming DLA before PIP started, if you thought you were entitled to a higher award then changes should have been reported so you could have been re-assessed. These weren't reported so you stayed on that same award.

When PIP started, if you thought you were entitled to more you should have reported those changes and then you would have been assessed for PIP. If you had been awarded a higher amount then you would have started payments after your DLA had ended.

As no changes were reported, the same rules apply to you i'm afraid, your PIP payments start once your DLA has ended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony7081
    Anthony7081 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I thought as much but I now have peace of mind.

Thanks very much
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Anthony7081! I'm glad other members were able to help. Please do have a look around and let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.