Labours, Jeremy Corbyn’s pledge to Scrap Universal Credit, amongst other pledges. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Labours, Jeremy Corbyn’s pledge to Scrap Universal Credit, amongst other pledges.

Government_needs_reform
Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
This is Labours pledge by Jeremy Corbyn to get rid of UC amongst other better changes.

Jeremys speech. 
But if I told you those aren’t my words but the damning verdict of the United Nations, no less, you get a sense of the damage wrought by nine years of Tory austerity.

Their policy of Universal Credit pushes people into the jaws of loan sharks forces proud men and women to depend on food banks and turfs families out of their homes.

The Tories promised it would make work pay. But more and more people who are falling into poverty have jobs.

A Labour goverment will change the whole culture of the DWP. It will become the Department for Social Security to give people dignity and respect.

Social security shouldn’t be about forcing women into the indignity of having to fill out a four-page form to prove their child was born as a result of rape as 500 women had to do last year.

Labour will scrap Universal Credit and introduce an emergency package to immediately end its worst aspects. Ending the benefit cap and the two child limit, which alone will stop up to 300,000 children being pushed into poverty.

And, yes, that means the end of the disgusting rape clause.

We’ll end the five week wait for the first payment, end the Tories’ vicious sanctions regime, end the bedroom tax and – because we’re committed to reducing poverty – we’ll end the benefit freeze.

We’ll control welfare spending by tackling low pay and insecure work … and rip-off rents. Social security shouldn’t be subsidising bad employers and greedy landlords.

Full statement for the above here https://labour.org.uk/press/full-text-of-jeremy-corbyns-speech-in-northampton/

Left Marsha & right Margaret. 

(Removed by moderater - Under guidance from the Electoral Commission we must make sure that the community does not "contain content that can reasonably be regarded as intended to influence voters", and under Charity Commission guidance we must ensure Scope is neutral.)

⬇️
I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    @Roddy Sorry to hear this? I've read many story's of people suffering, whether it be UC or DLA to PIP, I've been through all this myself, that's why I decided to start campaigning for change.

This is what the Tory's have created, they care for no one but their rich pals.
    Labour has caused this to in the past, by bringing out the much dreaded WCA, and privatised assessments, the tories have carried on this culture but much worse for the disabled and vulnerable.

Labour is different now, and realise they realise this is all wrong, and now they want to make a big change by reversing this despicable damage that the tories have now created and been made a lot worse.

I said to myself as I'm also disabled, I was gonna just give in, but decided no I will use what energy I have to fight for us, I then joined a group of campaigners and we are have and have made the DWP to change some of the wrongs their doing to claimants.

I believe change can happen but we as a collective can force it, by voting the tories out.

We can over come this if we try. Peace to one and all.❤️
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

This is also worth a read. This is what Mark had to say. PCS for staff at the DWP
    General secretary of the Public and Commercial Services union
    Labour’s pledge to scrap Universal Credit is a win-win for both staff and claimants.
    ⬇️

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It should be understood that Labour plan to change the worst aspects of UC not abolish it immediately, this was made clear a few weeks ago by their DWP shadow minister on C4 news, it is a little disingenuous to suggest they aim to abolish UC as a priority.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

woodbine said:
    It should be understood that Labour plan to change the worst aspects of UC not abolish it immediately, this was made clear a few weeks ago by their DWP shadow minister on C4 news, it is a little disingenuous to suggest they aim to abolish UC as a priority.
    @woodbine I think you will find many things have changed and this is what will happen, I'am a campaigner and I get the facts that's what will happen.
    ⬇️

• kensplace
    kensplace Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    corbyn - until he apologises for being in a party that actually implemented the stuff that is killing people now, is scum in my eyes..........

kensplace said:
    corbyn - until he apologises for being in a party that actually implemented the stuff that is killing people now, is scum in my eyes..........

@kensplace Jeremy has not got to apologise what a previous Labour government did, also bear in mind Labour did not have anything to do with Universal Credit nor PIP that was the Tory's that created them, although former Labour did create the Work capability assessment "WCA" and used privatisation firms for medical assessments, which then when tories came to power used and forced austerity, thus also then creating a very hostile environment for disabled and vulnerable,  added along with TV programmes like benefits street etc. 

So now we have a different Labour Party that want to change all the bad policies that was, and what is now under the tories power, which they have inflicted in the worst manner possible.

So no, Jeremy is not to blame for this.
    ⬇️

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing that @Government_needs_reform. It will be very interesting to see what happens if labour did get back in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    edited October 2019
    @poppy123456 Once it's confirmed that a General election will take place which is imminent, we've all been working on all the plans to push this, and hopefully the disabled & the vulnerable will vote for it as this will be heavily portrayed to get the message across, what damage has been caused by all this "Austerity" also amongst many other changes things like the minimum wage will rise to £10 per hour for anyone 16, and over this will start in the first few weeks is Labour wins.

Also the hated bedroom tax will also be scrapped, even the 2 child limit will be scrapped, and the rape clause where the person who has to prove she was raped, also will be scrapped. Another thing too is the benefit freeze lifted, and social rents will be brought in line.

The changes that are planned will give low paid workers and help the disabled and vulnerable.

I can't wait to start this campaign, it's a time to get this right.

We will push this hard, and fight tooth and nail to get these messages across, this will be our chance far a change, for the better.

⬇️

edited October 2019

The state pension age is set to rise to 75 over the next 16 years — based on a plan by new PM Boris Jonson ’s favourite think tank.

It would go up to 70 just nine years from now as the change is phased in.

This another good reason to get the Tory's out of office, Iain Duncan Smith just wants to crucify people and cause a much suffering as he can. With his Universal credit, & trying now to raising pension age to 75 within 2028 to 2035 we don't stand a chance? Time for change, Labour have said it's disgraceful. Let's get rid of him IDS & their policies out once & for all.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-raise-state-pension-age-18953679.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true
    ⬇️

• kensplace
    kensplace Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    kensplace said:

@kensplace Jeremy has not got to apologise what a previous Labour government did, also bear in mind Labour did not have anything to do with Universal Credit nor PIP that was the Tory's that created them, although former Labour did create the Work capability assessment "WCA" and used privatisation firms for medical assessments, which then when tories came to power used and forced austerity, thus also then creating a very hostile environment for disabled and vulnerable,  added along with TV programmes like benefits street etc. 

So now we have a different Labour Party that want to change all the bad policies that was, and what is now under the tories power, which they have inflicted in the worst manner possible.

So no, Jeremy is not to blame for this.

Unless he states that what his party did was wrong and promises to undo it all - then he is.. As without doing so he must be fine with a system that kills.
    The media attention started and was worse under labour - at one point they were claiming 95 percent of people on IB were faking it and criminals thats how bad it got under labour... The tv stuff came under the tories though as you say.     The WCA was very hostile under labour, I experienced it first hand..
    What will corbyn change, has he actually proposed undoing what his party put in place? If not, then my belief in him still stands.

Brightness