Pip/carers/severe disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip/carers/severe disability

blue32
blue32 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Hi I'm currently on enhanced rate PIP. My mother is on enhanced rate PIP as well due to a recent change. She is over 65 and for a few years has been in receipt of an extra 32poounds pension credit as she is my carer. If I was to end her as my carer am I now entitled to the severe disability I was told even though I live with her I am as we are both on enhanced care PIP also how much is this and is it weekly

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hi @blue32 and a warm welcome to the community! Are you in claiming any other benefits aside from PIP? 

Here is some information about who is entitled to severe disability premium, as you live with someone who is not your partner, this can make it more complicated. However, if your mother no longer claims carers then it is possible that you could qualify.    

Severe Disability Premium is £65.85 per week.
    Scope

• blue32
    Hi thanks. Yes I am in ESA support group
  • blue32
    Ok thanks will seek advice and not sure
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @blue32It has to be income-related (or have an income-related top up) ESA to get the Severe Disability Premium (SDP). If your ESA is all contributions based they can't get SDP. 

Just to clarify, are there only two adults living in your house? Also, does anyone claim Carers Allowance for your mother?

If you are the only two adults and your mother stops claiming Carers allowance for yourself, she could be entitled to SDP and if if your ESA is income-related, you could too.

It should tell you on an award letter what type of ESA it is, or you can call and ask. I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• blue32
    My mother got awarded SDP shortly after her pip award. She is 66. It is only us living here and no one gets carers for her.my ESA is support group and enhanced care component
  • blue32
    I get top as in support group
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @blue32, is your mother claiming SDP at the moment?

You will have to see if you are claiming 'contribution-based' or 'income-related' as this will determine if you can get SDP. I would recommend ringing up if you are unsure. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bluey32 as you live with just your mother and you both claim the daily living PIP, if your mother cancels her carers premium in with her pension credit then yes you'll be able to claim the SDP from the date the carer premium is canceled. Do be aware that if your mother cancels this then it could stop her receiving the pension credit, which could affect other benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • blue32
    Thanks I've been told I'm eligible to the 14th of August backdated I have an overpayment that I've been paying off years will they deduct the back money from that as they took 1200 backdated ESA of me a couple years ago
  • blue32
    Someone said this be be excempt from deducting over payments but not sure
  • poppy123456
    blue32 said:
    Thanks I've been told I'm eligible to the 14th of August backdated I have an overpayment that I've been paying off years will they deduct the back money from that as they took 1200 backdated ESA of me a couple years ago
    It will depend what debt you have but it is possible that some or even all of the money can be used to repay any debt you have with DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • blue32
    It's an overpayment from around 2009 I think I owe around 300 now it was 6000 originally it was incapacity or esa
  • blue32
    Update

So I rang Tuesday after my mother cancelled carers credit pension premium roughly 35 pounds a week.

Anyway the person was very helpful done it on phone said I should be entitled to it backdated to mother's award for enhanced pip 14august
    Found that strange as she's been getting careers premium however something made me ring today the form has been sent back with no notes the person found this strange so has escalated it for a manager type to ring me before 12 today as this was around 4.30 he said it may be an error or that there's a problem my ESA award ended in march and I've heard nothing but still getting payments. He also said I look like I'm eligible could it be because my mother's carers premium has just ended? As they told her she will still be paid for 8weeks
  • poppy123456
    The SDP will not be backdated to August because your mother was claiming the carers premium in with her pension credit. It will not continue to be paid for 8 weeks once she cancels the carers allowance. Even though she isn't paid carers allowance she still has the underlying entitlement to it and will still need to ring them to cancel this. Once payments stop your SDP will start from that date.

If she claims housing benefit then she will also need to report the changes to her local council that she no longer claims this.

ESA Support Group is ongoing and the only time it will stop is if you are found fit for work. What DWP most likely meant was that you were due a reassessment in March but those timescales are just a guide and don't really mean anything. You can be reassessed anytime from 3 months. You may find that you'll be sent another work capability assessment form at anytime in the near future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for offering further advice on this @poppy123456! If there is anything we can do @blue32 then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.