The power of music on your mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The power of music on your mental health

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2019 in Coffee lounge

Today, 10th October, is World Mental Health Day. On the community we thought it would be beneficial to discuss music and the things you can do to support yourself. This will be specific to the individual, but here's a suggestion.

You don't have to face mental health alone.

The power of music

Back in 2011, the MIND charity found that there is in fact research that shows the positive affect that music can have on your mental health.

Personally, this is not surprising. Have you ever put on your favourite songs and had a bit of a dance around? I know I certainly have done!

MIND have also compiled their list of #MindMusicMonday songs which can be found on Spotify. There’s a range of feel good songs that is making me have a little boogie while writing this post, so be sure to check it out.

Here are some discussions that we have had on the community about music:

Do you have a favourite boogie tune? What other ways do you have of managing your mental health? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Thank you for sharing and caring.

I do a lot of things. I do think what helps is finding the right support. To help you.

Often by accessing support comes with a lot of knowledge, education and learning how to adapt.

I use mental health charities .

Used this one last time is another option beside MIND and others.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Hope that gives any one a lot of confidence and have a look. You can self refer.

As for my own issues. I do the following first make sure I am eating.  Have a range of simple standbys and simple meals .

I know food and diet are the last aspect of mental health but it is important.

If you do not eat then this can effect many symptoms of your mental health.

Small meals. Is often the best way.

I also use coping methods and strategies . This is something you learn from various mental health charities.

Can be anything from breathing and controlling your anxiety . You recognise the symptoms can deal with it.

Do meditation, music have a coping box . This something I have my favourite comforts.  Need to hand information, any relevant advice, guidance .

Have leaflets on sleep, diet, wellbeing and medication.  Numbers need to use contacts.

Have a diary plan and use this for every day a reminder.  Useful for a structured day and planning tasks daily medication. Need to take.

Reminders on anything you need to maintain your home and keep it clean and safe.

Be aware of your medication is another one many side effects of medication. Can be distressing so use the information to guide and help yourself provided.

If feeling nauseous or sick or dizzy a major symptom of any medication have a glass of water or take a yogurt . Which eases the symptoms.

I have a snack attack bowl of fruit like Apples which does help as well.

Have to contact the Doctor that is something I would do as well. If you having problems with anything please talk to your GP.

Medication might need adjusting or speak to your Doctor about anything you need to ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I find a lot of music quite triggering, but music from the 80s is relatively safe.

I also find exercise is good for helping to start the day off in the right frame of mind. 

What mood-boosting tunes would you recommend @Chloe_Scope?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you so much for this advice @thespiceman as I am sure this will be very beneficial to other members! 
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    80's music is always good @Adrian_Scope! Ed Sheeran or Lucy Spraggan are my go to in terms of artists. But songs from musicals can always be mood-boosting!

If I can't sleep or want background noise, Einaudi is very relaxing. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    80's music is always good @Adrian_Scope! Ed Sheeran or Lucy Spraggan are my go to in terms of artists. But songs from musicals can always be mood-boosting!

What’s that? 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Music plays such a big part of my life including my mental health wellness.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Adrian_Scope You mentioned music might be worth looking at Classic FM range of CD's.

They have produced a series of Mindfulness and relaxing ones. Nothing serious or high brow just a pleasant selection of classical music.

Bought a lot of them and worth a lot does help me every time need to do a task.

Been a survey classical music is the best one apparently for any one with mental health and especially anxiety.

Have Classic FM on all day.  Eases my mental state constantly.

Calming. Understand was never a fan of the music like certain artists and composers all naturally Italian but when you listen to what is played.

You change your mind. A wide selection is played every day.

From Films remember  a lot of it is used in film.  Also recent composers like John Barry and John Williams.

Plus you get opera of course as you would but it is Italian tenors and a lot of it you feel good after wards.

Pavarotti and others.  Stirring stuff.

Add to that you will recognise a lot of the music as it is in adverts and commercials also films.

I hope you give this a try.  Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope

What’s that? 
    Einaudi is a classical artist. Here is my favourite one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uffjii1hXzU 
    Scope

• Pritchard
    Pritchard Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    Music is very relaxing.  A composer called Brian Tough, and lyricist Me put a very therapeutic demo together. Whenever I'm upset I listen to it and it brings relaxation. At a later date I'll see if I can share it, if not as a demo as a lyrical poem.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    I like a little bit of everything. I find music helps me a lot if I'm feeling a bit down. Thanks for posting @Chloe_Scope it's been great to read everybody's suggestions.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks @Pritchard and @emmarenshaw for sharing your thoughts on this!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Adrian_Scope You mentioned music might be worth looking at Classic FM range of CD's.

They have produced a series of Mindfulness and relaxing ones. Nothing serious or high brow just a pleasant selection of classical music.

Bought a lot of them and worth a lot does help me every time need to do a task.

Been a survey classical music is the best one apparently for any one with mental health and especially anxiety.

Have Classic FM on all day.  Eases my mental state constantly.

Calming. Understand was never a fan of the music like certain artists and composers all naturally Italian but when you listen to what is played.

You change your mind. A wide selection is played every day.

From Films remember  a lot of it is used in film.  Also recent composers like John Barry and John Williams.

Plus you get opera of course as you would but it is Italian tenors and a lot of it you feel good after wards.

Pavarotti and others.  Stirring stuff.

Add to that you will recognise a lot of the music as it is in adverts and commercials also films.

I hope you give this a try.  Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Thanks @thespiceman. That's a good suggestion actually. I actually have a few Spotify playlists full of classical and instrumentals which I find great for relaxation, so I will give Classic FM a whirl.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for a great thread which I have enjoyed reading, @Chloe_Scope.  Really great to keep raising awareness of mental health.  I love listening to music too when I feel a bit down or stressed and believe that music can play such a big part in stirring good emotions inside of you.  I enjoy 80's music also as this really cheers me up and brings back great memories of going out partying.  My husband's uncle is an amateur singer and we have a couple of his CDs in which he sings all the old Scottish tunes which always makes me feel patriotic and good when I listen to them.  Especially spurs me on when I am doing some housework!  Some radio stations are great too and Radio 2 is my favourite at the moment for a mixture of good tunes.  

I also enjoy doing things such as knitting, arts and crafts and Tai Chi to lift my spirits.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Philippa1961
    Philippa1961 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    edited October 2019
    I like all types of music as my mum's favourite music was classical, my dad's was jazz, they liked middle of the road misic as well, and, I  grew up listening to 60's music.  However what I listen to depends on my mood and I can be nostalgic quite regularly as it reminds me of happier times. 

I also like reading, knitting, crafts and arts plus writing.
    Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Chloe_Scope 
    Music and its various rhythms, beats, etc, have been part of human evolution for many thousands of years. 
    going back to what we sometimes call tribal dances, etc. 
    It is part of how we process sound, or what the ears hear, unlike specific sound based language we can create our own interpretations and possible meaning to various types or forms of music.
    Sometimes time we add lyrics to music add a more specific message. 
    The music we may prefer will probably depend on the music we listened to while growing up as part of  our development, and sometimes something that others have created which best matches our personal experiences and preferences,
    Personally I my main area of interest is Blues/Rock music of the ;ate 1960s 70s and early 80s, mainly the more instrumental tracks, (processing the meaning of lyrics can be a problem due to my disability) And sometimes some classical music. 
    As I coping strategy I put my headphones on to cut out all the background noise and listen to my favourite tracks

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you @Ails, @Philippa1961 and @dolfrog for taking the time to share this with us.

I'm so glad that you ( @Ails and @Philippa1961 ) have found crafts really helpful as well. I personally love to crochet and write. Although, I don't do them as much as I'd like!

That's a really interesting way of seeing things @dolfrog, thank you for sharing. :)
    Scope

• KnobblyKnees
    KnobblyKnees Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Woke up feeling really tense about an assessment appointment and then One Day Like This by Elbow came on the radio and all my worries melted away for 4 minutes.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @KnobblyKnees, I'm really glad music helped and I hope your assessment goes okay! :)
    Scope

• KnobblyKnees
    KnobblyKnees Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Thanks @ Chloe_Scope, I'm expecting to do as well as our entries in the Eurovision. Nil Points.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Well I will keep my fingers crossed for you @KnobblyKnees!
    Scope

Brightness