Three questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Three questions

rebel11
rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,636 Pioneering
Hi Guys

Firstly I have 3 chronic conditions diagnosed in the following years 1991 - UC, 2008 - Diabetes Type 2 and 2019 - MS.
The latest one is MS in January this year.

a) I know that some conditions were exempt from a medical assessments, does any of those conditions exempt me?

b) I filled in the ESA50 in May 2019, then got documentation about claiming Income-Related; last week I told them I didn't want to claim at this time. I've just received a date for an assessment. I think the assessment is related to not wanting to claim 'Income-Related' and not my health conditions. The 'bod' at the DWP said he'll send a email to the department dealing with the claim in a 'suspicious way'.    

c) Are there any email addresses for various departments in the DWP?

Many thanks in advance, look forward to your thoughts / info.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The reason for the work capability assessment is because you filled out the ESA50 form in May and most people have face to face assessments. It won't be because you declined to claim the income related top up.

To be placed into the severe conditions group MS is one of the conditions but it depends what type of MS you have, severe and progressive forms of MS is one of the criteria but there's also other criteria too.  For this to happen you will need to be assessed with the face to face assessment and once a decision is made it will tell you on the letter if no further re-assessments are needed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    Hi,

The reason for the work capability assessment is because you filled out the ESA50 form in May and most people have face to face assessments. It won't be because you declined to claim the income related top up.

To be placed into the severe conditions group MS is one of the conditions but it depends what type of MS you have, severe and progressive forms of MS is one of the criteria but there's also other criteria too.  For this to happen you will need to be assessed with the face to face assessment and once a decision is made it will tell you on the letter if no further re-assessments are needed.

Information about the severe conditions group here. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

Hi Poppy

Thanks for your response. What I'm saying is that they could have requested that I attend an assessment any time before I declined the Income-Related top up. But the assessment letter arrived on Saturday.

• rebel11
    Just to add I'm awaiting treatment for MS, I was given two options in January, one has since been withdrawn. 
  • poppy123456
    The assessment appointment letter will have come straight from the health assessment advisory service, not DWP so you declining the income related top up will have nothing to do with it.

Future appointment dates aren't classed as evidence for a work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rebel11
    The assessment appointment letter will have come straight from the health assessment advisory service, not DWP so you declining the income related top up will have nothing to do with it.

Future appointment dates aren't classed as evidence for a work capability assessment.
    I think you'll find  the DWP controls what the assessment agencies do. 

I've previously had an assessment and
    all the 'shenanigans' that went on with that assessment. I've
    even had phone calls with DWP, when I've asked for the recordings' they've edited out bits of the call.

• poppy123456
    DWP have no control over the appointment dates/times/locations, this is purely to do with the health assessment providers for ESA and PIP.
  • rebel11
    DWP have no control over the appointment dates/times/locations, this is purely to do with the health assessment providers for ESA and PIP.
    I agree the DWP don't control appointments as such; but they control the need for an assessment to be carried out; even if there isn't actually a need for one.
  • poppy123456
    I'm afraid you're wrong again. It's the health assessment providers that have control over this too because they are the ones that write the assessment reports and one needs to be written and sent to DWP, whether there's a face to face assessment done or not.
  • rebel11
    I'm afraid you're wrong again. It's the health assessment providers that have control over this too because they are the ones that write the assessment reports and one needs to be written and sent to DWP, whether there's a face to face assessment done or not.
    That's how it's meant to happen, but from my previous experience that's not the case. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rebel11, just to let you know that I have deleted the other thread that was a copy of this one. :)
    Scope

• rebel11
    No assessment yet; eventful nevertheless.
  • rebel11
    Had my assessment.
    Two things are annoying even if we put the assessment aside.
  • poppy123456
    may i ask what is annoying you?
  • rebel11
    may i ask what is annoying you?
    I'm happy to tell you, but not on the thread.
  • poppy123456
    You haven't made enough posts to send a private message to me but i can send a message to you and you can reply. If you would like me to do that, i'd be more than happy to help you further.
  • rebel11
    You haven't made enough posts to send a private message to me but i can send a message to you and you can reply. If you would like me to do that, i'd be more than happy to help you further.
    Yes, that sounds like a plan.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Good morning @rebel11, is there anything we can help you with?
    Scope

• rebel11
    Hi Chloe

It's not urgent, but happy to share, but you'll need to PM.
  • Chloe_Scope
    If you would like to message me when you reach 25 points then please do feel free to get in touch. :)
    Scope

• rebel11
    edited October 2019
    Hi Guys

I've been placed in the 'Support Group'. Odd letter, for a month, they probably got dates mixed up; or they know I'm 'doomed' after that date.

I'm annoyed that so many people are being treated 'this way'.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.