PSYCHOLOGICAL COPING METHODS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PSYCHOLOGICAL COPING METHODS

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one some new guidance and advice on coping methods..

Advice and guidance to cope and deal with stressful situations. Fight or flight.  Which is a common trait of many of those like my self with anxiety.

Know the symptoms the problems.

Reframing is one I consider often using.  This is a method of looking at certain aspects of your life. Looking at evaluation .  Why are things looking bleak or causing problems. 

To address that and the positives.  Thinking what is the worst can happen.

Help your emotions and feelings around the prospects of what if this goes wrong. Why is that going to happen. The sense of dread.

We think like that it is imprinted in our subconscious our memory. The reasons we might fail.

Examples are going out to an appointment. My own life to a hospital or a Doctors need a taxi. Need to go on line book the appointment not available time or Doctor. That day.

As for a taxi how many times do we get stressed , angry that we can not get out the right taxi not available on that day.

Does it matter. Cancel the original appointment and look again another day or time or taxi service.

I do get annoyed, frustrated with these things but who I am hurting. Just do deep breathing, be calm and think positive will try again.  Music helps eases the situation.

Give yourself some opportunities to talk it over. Self talk helps . I actually use this forum to vent anything.

Then feel better revaluate the situation and take it small steps again.

All of us had this . Going to assessments .  Think of first of being calm and give yourself reassurance.

Ask you self some questions. I am in control, I am aware of my own issues.  Do I need to address the situation I am in right now for the assessment.?

Plan and make sure I have anything.  Praise yourself, deep breathing.  Worth thinking about.

If using a car do you feel safe to drive, do you need to be thinking positive not negative.  

If you cannot get there as you suffer and have issues. Anxiety and sweating, panics is it worth travelling with some one.

Or using a taxi.  So you are reframing the situation you are going through.

By thinking positive the situation has changed.  You are in control .  So nothing is going to go wrong. If there is traffic hold ups or accidents is that an issue a problem.

You can apologise for being late if that is what happens but you could leave early enough avoid any problems another suggestion.

If we get in an anxiety state is that going to be making you ill.  It happens I have been there and have experience several times the sweats the emotions.

Yet when arriving late did apologise.  They gave me some time to recover and then I had the assessment.

Felt daft, silly and embarrassed yet know there was not any sense getting worked up.

There are always alternatives to every situation and problems or issues . 

It is also one other point. Be aware of that. Consider what can you do next to solve the crisis.

Do I need to look at getting support?. Can I address my problems.?

Do I need to speak to my GP ?

Having a mental health issues or problems does not means struggling day to day. Understand will have some good days some bad. Every one does.

No one is perfect but is how you cope with all of that.

This is something I learnt from mental health charities.

I use them for that reason.

Thank you all for reading this.

Will be adding more coping methods.  Sometime soon.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman
    I am very aware of th nature of my disability, and the limitations it imposes on me and the limitations those who also have the same disability, all the members of my family.
    The problem is not our inability to understand the issues and work around our limitations.
    The problem is ignorant and incompetent medical and so called support professionals including the so called psychology services who do not even want to accept that our internationally recognised disability exists. 
    So the problem is the corrupt UK medical professionals who only want to hide their ignorance and incompetence and massage their egos while making money out of the vulnerable. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing the psychological coping methods, @thespiceman.  These are helpful.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dolfrog   Thank you for sharing your experiences. I do understand . You have mentioned this before several times to me.

This is a post about mental health and coping methods. How you can deal with issues and problems in a safe, practical manner.

I do understand your difficulty with medical professionals. Then you maybe need to think about looking at services that can speak on your behalf.

I do sympathise have sensitivity for every one situations.

There are services available such as advocates. To speak on your behalf. 

I am myself have hearing issues and a lot of the time struggle to hear through day to day.

So if visiting my Doctor get my self ready and think positive. Use a writing pad to note down anything I have.

To discuss. Used this with advocates.

You can access them on NHS website or consider if you do have a mental illness.

Look at RETHINK.

https://www.rethink.org.

I am not suggested you have a mental health condition but if you do please have a look see how they can help you. 

The need the quest to seek answers.  There must be a solution . I know is frustrating for you and emotive.

As a member of this community who found out a long time  ago his own disability is something else. A genetic condition.  Has disrupted my life and due to other members of my family. 

Who knew what it is.

Had to use courts, solicitors.  To extract the truth.

Found one member of my family had a secret file on my condition.  With much information.

All emotions and feelings running through your mind.

Anger, hate and dismay.

I have moved on .  Use my experiences to heal thy self .  Also others.

I hope you can try to move on find some answers. If I can help with anything please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thank you so much for sharing these coping methods and your wisdom @thespiceman. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Hi @thespiceman

Than you for your reply.
    I know how tro cope with my disability, auditory processing disorder, I ran the UK support organisation for my disability for over 10 years, after being asked to set it up by the UK Medical Research Council in 2002 so that they could get UK government funding for a  5 year auditory processing disorder  research program. I set up APDUK in 2003, and the Medical Research Council got their funding in 2004.
    So i have been discussing how to cope with the various types of my disability for over 10 years now. So that is not the problem.

The problem is that the UK Audiologists do not want to explain the 4 types of auditory processing disorder to the other medical professions whose work is based on some of the symptoms of auditory processing disorder which they use their terminology to define as a condition. When in reality what they are describing as a condition is a shared symptom of one or more of the 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder.
    These so called corrupt types of medical and support professionals are UK psychologists, especially educational psychologists, who want to continue to make money diagnosing dyslexia, and Speech and Language Pathologists /Therapists who only want  to promote Specific Language Impairment,.which they are now marketing as Developmental Language Disorder, which research has suggested is exactly the same thing as auditory processing disorder.
    The NHS has no interest in understanding my type of Auditory Processing Disorder, the Temporal type, the brain having problems processing the gaps between sounds, which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech, and which is the main underlying cognitive cause of mine  and others  dyslexia symptom. The NHS only want to explain the Speech in Noise type of APD, which can be helped by the use of an FM System (Teacher or speaker using a microphone and the listener has a speaker in front of them to eliminate the problems posed by low levels of background noise.).

I had a look at the RETHINK we site and there is not a branch close enough to us to provide any help.

What I need is for UK medical professionals to say something along the lines of "I understand you have an auditory processing disorder, how can we help". And because the UK NHS and other medical professionals do not want  to understand my disability and provide the support that me and my family and many others need then the awareness of our disability is non existent, and no one provides communication accommodations we require. 
    So this is not about us finding more ways to cope with our disability for which there is no cure. It is more about getting the ignorant to provide the understanding and support we need on a life long basis  so that we are able to contribute to our local community and society in general.

Sorry to go on but I am feeling slightly suicidal due to the lack of local support and understanding. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much for sharing this @thespiceman!
    Scope

Brightness