Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Rayofhope
Rayofhope Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all, 
I have been struggling to get a diagnosis for an inflammatory arthritis and I have now been told by my GP that I have Fibromyalgia as no inflammation was found in my spine. 
I have had a lumbar fusion 5 years ago, my recent MRI showed damage to C6 in my neck, 3 bone spurs in the thoracic region. 
Bloods show positive Rheumatoid factor, raised inflammatory markers  I was anaemic, I have Reynauds Disease also. 
I lost my job in July due to my problems. 

We are not managing as a family. I thought I could get ESA as I get standard rate PIP but I'm not sure. 

Can anyone help me please.

Thank you so much. ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you've paid enough NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working then you maybe able to claim New style ESA. This has replaced the old contributions based ESA. You'll need a fit note from your GP and a SSP1 form, if you claimed SSP from your employer before you finished work. This pays £73.10 per week if over 25 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

If you need to claim for help with your rent and you don't already claim housing benefit then you'll need to claim Universal Credit for this and whether you'll be entitled to it will depend on your circumstances, savings/capital, household income etc.

It maybe worth speaking to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check because claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to claim any other benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rayofhope, I am sorry it has had such a big impact on yourself and your family. I hope Poppy has been able to give you enough information, but if you need anything else then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.