Help — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


Hi all, 
I have been struggling to get a diagnosis for an inflammatory arthritis and I have now been told by my GP that I have Fibromyalgia as no inflammation was found in my spine. 
I have had a lumbar fusion 5 years ago, my recent MRI showed damage to C6 in my neck, 3 bone spurs in the thoracic region. 
Bloods show positive Rheumatoid factor, raised inflammatory markers  I was anaemic, I have Reynauds Disease also. 
I lost my job in July due to my problems. 

We are not managing as a family. I thought I could get ESA as I get standard rate PIP but I'm not sure. 

Can anyone help me please.

Thank you so much. 😓


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,733 Disability Gamechanger

    If you've paid enough NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working then you maybe able to claim New style ESA. This has replaced the old contributions based ESA. You'll need a fit note from your GP and a SSP1 form, if you claimed SSP from your employer before you finished work. This pays £73.10 per week if over 25

    If you need to claim for help with your rent and you don't already claim housing benefit then you'll need to claim Universal Credit for this and whether you'll be entitled to it will depend on your circumstances, savings/capital, household income etc.

    It maybe worth speaking to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check because claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to claim any other benefits.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,565 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rayofhope, I am sorry it has had such a big impact on yourself and your family. I hope Poppy has been able to give you enough information, but if you need anything else then please do let us know. :)


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.