Carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers

Maimarsh
Maimarsh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My partner use to be my carer but past away August my stepdaughter took over care allowance when he got bad but since she has had money and her dad died I never she her told her she supposed to do 35 hrs week I've been told I can have this money put on my pip as I'm disabled after having a stroke 8 yrs ago can anyone put light on this matter please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately, you won't be able to have the carers allowance money added to your PIP.

May i ask if you claim any other benefits, such as Income Related ESA and do you live alone or with another person?

Is anyone claiming carers allowance for looking after  you at the moment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maimarsh and a warm welcome to the community. I am so sorry to hear that your partner passed away, this cannot have been easy.

Do you claim any other benefits other than PIP? 

You might be able to claim a disability premium depending on your circumstances, if no one is claiming carers allowance for you. Here is the eligibility for this. 
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @Maimarsh. I'm really sorry to read this. You are correct in that if your step-daughter is claiming Carer's Allowance for you, she should be providing 35 hours a week care. If you've not seen her since she claimed, this really isn't okay. Have you tried speaking to her about it?

As Chloe said, if she stops claiming Carer's Allowance, depending on your other benefits and situation it is possible you'd then be entitled to Severe Disability Premium (SDP).

Please let us know how you're getting on and if there's anything we can do to support you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.