PIP Assessment! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment!

sandraM
sandraM Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
I think Ive just had a pip assessor from hell.I am feeling  so upset.  I know they are only doing a job but the assessor was quizzing me so much and when I didn't give a direct answer she said she would just need to write that she asked me and I failed to answer.  Ex: How many minutes can you walk without stopping, I said it varies and depends obviously on how slow  I walk but no more than 50m but that answer wasn't acceptable, tried pushing for a number and then said she'd have to write that she asked me and I didn't answer the Q. Then went onto my medication which again varies with pain threshold, how many pills did I take weekly of each kind.  I said sometimes I might take 18 of one kind to which she replied, you are only supposed to take 14 does your Dr know you are taking more.

Some of the other Qs, Did I have internet at home, internet on my mobile, what programs I watched on TV, Did I smoke, how much did I drink, what did I eat for dinner, how often I drove my car, where was it parked at home. What kind of shops did I visit.  I felt as if she was trying to get me to say things I didn't want to say.   I can see an appeal on the horizon.

Anyone else had an assessment like this?

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @sandraM - it's fairly standard I think, from my own experience and posts on here.

From the questions they make all kind of assumptions...

"How often you drive your car" - do you drive it at all?
    "What kind of shops do you visit?" - do you go out to the shops?

From the questions that you've listed they will conclude that you have good cognitive skill (driving a car) good fine motor skills (can operate a mobile phone, TV remote), can prepare food OK (since you can use a TV remote you can use a potato peeler) can dress yourself/do up buttons etc (same reasons etc)

I wouldn't worry about it unduly ...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, all those questions are part of the assessment, or interrogation as some call it.

All you can do now is wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still have to wait for a decision to be made and once it has, if you're not happy you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandraM, I am sorry the assessment was so full on, how are you feeling this morning?

Like Poppy has said, you can request a copy of the report which will give you an indication of the award that you'll receive.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking about you too Sandra. I`m awaiting my f2f decision too. Had it on 3rd Oct. I felt as if I was in front of a smiling assassin! Take care xxx
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Sorry you had it tough @sandraM. I did too.! 

Fingers crossed for you both @pollyanna1052
    @sandraM

Xxx
  • sandraM
    sandraM Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Thanks for the replies, never slept well last night and I sleep poor at the best of times.  I'm calming down a bit now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.