Hi my name's Kelley and I'm here to ask for some help on my pip reassessment thanks guys x - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi my name's Kelley and I'm here to ask for some help on my pip reassessment thanks guys x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kelley1234   Sorry to hear what you are going through. I have been doing the assessments on various benefits a long time.

I wanted to say did you ever contact the charity I suggested. It was a while back.  I mentioned this charity.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Or this one is another one https://www.mind.org.uk.

I was wondering if you should try to contact MIND. If you had no success with Richmond Fellowship.

I say this because they can help with what you are experiencing right now.

MIND website has a lot of guidance on coping with what you are going through.

I suffer anxiety myself as have just posted a lot of advice, guidance on Psychological coping methods that are used by mental health charities please have a look.

Under Psychological coping methods part one two and three.

One piece of advice I know is to get some support with any assessment. Whether is any one who is helping you.

Include support worker or floating support or outreach worker or health support.

Reason I stated charities often useful.

You mentioned your son that is fine. As well.  Any friends or some one who knows you well.

I would try to keep calm and use some deep breathing, meditation.  You can look on the web for these many are useful techniques.

Please may I suggest look at my posts I have added. As well does help and offers a lot of reassurance, self esteem and confidence.

I had my mental illness a long time and have the knowledge and education to cope.  Happy to support others.

Music helps. Have Classic FM on right now all the time relaxes you.

The assessment I do understand and feel for you have compassion. Please if I add be thinking positive thoughts.

Be honest, open and say how you are which I know you will.

There are no tricks questions just take your time.  Keep it simple and short.  Please do not rant or ramble or get muddled a sign of anxiety and stress I know this myself.

Do a rehearsal in your mind write down any notes want to say.  Make a script. When going to the assessment centre look on line to see where it is.

Look at the copy of the form if you have one. Make some bullet points.

I assume your son is driving you.  Plan ahead be early.  If you want to then you can relax if in the car have some deep breathing and some relaxation to deal with anything.

Organise yourself dress in comfortable clothes.  Have a bottle of water and tissues.

I hope every thing works out your be amazing you be fine that is what you need to say to yourself.

Also remember never think negetive think of positive and the good outcome you are going to get.

I had to share this with you.

I know you be OK.

One final point do not think about after wards that is something we can discuss anytime. Think the first step. Small steps.

We are here to be supportive, be a friend.

Wish you well. Please have a pleasant evening I forget have and try to get a good nights sleep before the assessment.

If I can help with anything please get in touch.

I am one of the community champions of the forum.

Please take care sending  prayers.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • kelley1234
    kelley1234 Community member Posts: 39 Pioneering
    @thespiceman
    Thankyou for your compassion your advice is really appreciated ☺️ I have been in bed for the last couple of weeks with severe nerve pain and depression so haven't managed to contact any service's ATM . My doctors have spoke to me and just upped my medication as they call it an episode and a flare up of my joint pain . I think I'm stressing more as I have no more medical evidence apart from a massive prescription list . I mentioned to my doctor I'm suffering severe fatigued and he said I'm on a lot of sedative medication that's why ! Yet these people expect me to be able to sit and answer questions . I'm like a zombie I can't think straight all day . Thankyou for your advice and I think all I can do now is pray ? hopefully god is on my side ???
  • thespiceman
    Hello @kelley1234   Thank you for kind words. Much appreciated.

Please can I suggest something else.  I assume if you do go on line to get your medication.

If you do not you can sign up to a website that can deliver your medication.

Also you can then access your medical records. Down load them to print them off any relevant information, reports.

I signed up to a website called Patients Access. There are many available.  Get my prescriptions delivered by my local village pharmacy.

Very useful.

You would need to speak to your surgery and they will send you details of set up.

Hope that helps.

One other point is there is a lot of negativity around assessments. Which is understandable.  I know from reading the stories on the forum.  Which I would stress I would not concern yourself with.

I think what is important is being positive having the confidence and self esteem to say how you are. Be if you can motivated. I know never easy to say to some one else.

I just know that every one is different and it is how you approach every time you have some thing like this.

I have sorry this about me started doing assessments and reviews of benefits around early Eighties, stopped for a long period of work. Then back on benefits around middle Nineties with breaks doing work or signing on.

Now on long term sick, and in my middle Fifties still probably will be going for more.

I wanted to add that hope you do not mind.

What is not known is the amount of positive stories around assessments.  They do exist.  I have seen them.

I can understand your fears and insecurities. 

I myself have limited evidence but have had good assessments.  Despite everything .

I tend to focus on the positive ones have courage have strength and have the opportunity to support those on this forum.

Please if I can help or be supportive ask anything. I am sorry to hear your in bed with pain.

I hope you have a good support around you to help with anything.

You might need. You mentioned your son.

You added about medication. Lot of medication is like that sorry to say that does cause excessive tiredness.

Look at the leaflets any time you get a medication.  One bit of advice.

I know ones I am on are. Causing numerous side effects again it is putting something in place to cope with any side effects.

Taking medication is a solution but with a combination of a good healthy diet.  Some evaluation of wellbeing you can deal with what you have.

I know the zombie situations but this is something does happen .

I can help and offer guidance with anything regarding diet and well being my recipes on here many times posted.

I for example get nausea a simple solution drink plenty of water have gentle foods eases your stomach.

Eat Yoghurt natural or Greek.  Have this after any nausea.  Use fruit or Apples .

Make sure if your eating small meals.  If you suffering depression, last thing you wish to do is eat.

Have something small like soup .  Does help.

Buy a slow cooker put into it everything like veggies and lean meat. Chicken or Turkey. Leave it on and have it when your hungry. 

I think a good breakfast is important as well. Eggs good start to the day or Oats based cereal.

I apologise if you have any food intolerances. Please ask me for ideas happy to suggest.

I have been there with depression and pain and still do have some days.

I do understand. Please when your ready in your own time look at any links I provided.

Wish you well.  Sorry for long post do have care and concern for our community members who are valued and struggling at the moment.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Hi @kelley1234

So sorry to hear you're having to go through all this. 
    Just been through 2 PIP's myself. One for adult son and one for me. 

We enlisted help from the MP with both.
    We managed to get son's PIP through mandatory consideration (after receiving zero points).
     My own was the renewal after 3 years and managed to get same as before. Yaay! 

Really taken it out of me though. Been in bed crying since I received the decision on Monday.!!
    I should be happy shouldn't I? 

Anyway, you could try your MP.? We sent emails explaining the situation. 

Are you actually able to attend 2 assessments one day after the other or will the first one wipe you out too much to attend second? If so, tell the MP that and also the ESA people. 

I know what you mean about the worry, it's just awful. <3

I had a really strange question at the assessment. I'm incontinent and use adult nappies.
     I explained that sometimes I don't even know when I'm weeing ( have bladder damage ) and other times I try to get to the loo but just can't make it in time. 

The question was "what is the percentage between weeing without knowing and trying to get to the loo"? 
    I got upset because I didn't understand the question and started crying. I was all confused, she repeated the question a few times and in the end I just blurted out 50/ 50.
    What the hell was that question all about? 

Anyway, my advice is to take as much medical evidence to the assessment as you can. Even if it's not official letters and reports persay. 

For example when I asked my GP for a letter he just gave me a print out, a brief summary of my last 6 months visits. Doesn't sound much but it included x ray results, regular antibiotics for bladder infections and visits for asthma, diabetes check, etc. 
    I also took a form from the mental health team. Again not really an official letter, just a form saying they were suggesting CBT for me to sign and that the waiting list is ten months.! 

So, take anything you can even if it doesn't seem as strong as say, a consultants letter or something. 
    And email your MP because I think it's too much to expect 2 assessments in 2 days.!

I know how you feel but keep going and try to stay strong x  <3

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelley1234, I am so sorry to hear that your assessments are close together, and I can certainly see why this would be difficult for you. I am glad to hear that you have someone who can come with you to the assessment. Like Poppy said, it is very rare that they make a paper based decision. 

Please do let us know how you get on and I hope other members can continue to give you advice. :)
    Scope

• kelley1234
    Thankyou all for your advice. Haven't been on here as been feeling very low . Well I received a letter this morning saying they have looked at what I have written on the form and have been InTouch with any healthcare professionals that are involved with my treatment or care and we have decided we need to see you for a f2f . So there goes ☹️?
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Thankyou all for your advice. Haven't been on here as been feeling very low . Well I received a letter this morning saying they have looked at what I have written on the form and have been InTouch with any healthcare professionals that are involved with my treatment or care and we have decided we need to see you for a f2f . So there goes ☹️?

2 assessments in 2 days! Oh it`s more than flesh and blood can stand. They have no idea how much stress this will cause you. Best wishes chick xxxxx
  • kelley1234
    Unbelievable and I can't change my assessment as I had an hospital appointment and had to cancel one ? Pollyanna 1052 x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @kelley1234, I am sorry to hear that it has affected your mood. Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• kelley1234
    Hello Chloe I just want theses over now . I also didn't have any further evidence apart from an updated prescription . It says on the letter they have contacted people involved in my care !! Who ? Only I know how I live and struggle so am really struggling to think who they would of asked ? Thankyou x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If you put name of GP or any other professional then they may have contacted either of those.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kelley1234
    Bring it on .. I have nothing to hide I had to give up my nursing job 3 years ago due to my illnesses . Before I gave work up I went down to part time which I still couldn't manage . If only I could go to work I certainly wouldn't be sitting here stressing out at the small amount of money I have to live on . I will let you know how it goes next week . Thankyou for all your support XXX?? I've actually asked for a ESA loan to keep to side incase I'm left with nothing and need accepted for that even though I'm due a ESA reassessment . How they will get that money back if I don't pass god knows ???
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering

@kelley1234

Sorry you are having to go through this and that you are feeling low (not surprised) 

I still feel you should contact your MP about the 2 assessments being one after the other. I would email him under the heading "Urgent" and explain. If he can get one of the dates changed then they are changing it, not you.

In my case they sent me an appointment for a building I could not access.!!
    It was a flat entrance but the nearest drop off point was 70 metres walk, due to a fence running all along the side of the building. No opening through the fence. 

Mine was for PIP Renewal and I was already receiving Mobility for 20 metres. 
    I emailed MP heading it "Urgent". I explained that they were paying me for walking 20 metres but asking me to walk 70! 

I had already contacted Disability and Equality Rights but they said it was within the law because of the flat entrance (and it's up to clients how they get to the entrance)!!!!

We emailed the MP, next thing I received a new appointment at a different building with flat entrance and drop off (taxi) right at the door.

Worth a try? 

Good Luck and keep us posted  <3
  • Chloe_Scope
    I can completely appreciate why you would just want them done and out of the way, we're all here rooting for you @kelley1234!
    Scope

• kelley1234
    Chloe scope  thankyou I am going to get taxis there and back my son's coming with me . I really just want it over . My thoughts are that they couldn't make a decision on my review by the tick form and evidence so they just want to fail me. My councillor has told me to tell them after my assessment I had 2 days ago that my depression and anxiety is supremely high and thats without my physical problems . He said I'm not fit for work and I must tell them he said that !!! Well I'm sure that they will take he's word for it considering its not on paper ! What do I do just give them he's name ??xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Paper based assessments are very rare and most people have to attend assessments, even for a review.

Please do be aware that PIP isn't about not being able to work, which means telling them this during your assessment isn't going to help your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @kelley1234 Please can I suggest try to be calm and consider what you need to say, just think it through.

You be fine and amazing be able to cope. To give you reassurance been doing this a long time.

All these assessments. Try to rehearse some answer be positive and confident you will be successful.

Say how you are. Not too ramble but in a few sentences.

Answer honesty be open, about yourself.

How the descriptors are effected you day to day.  

You have some on with you that is good to know.

Remember to take anything yo need to cope and anything to show the assessors, reports or care plans.

Diary entries showing you need to remind yourself of doing any of the descriptors. Taking meds or need to remind myself to do tasks or duties..  Also take a copy of your form if you have it.

Please do not try to worry it is how you cope and deal with everything. Small steps.

One final point do not worry about the outcome think and focus on the assessment first.

We are here to support you and help when you need it.

One other point have a good nights sleep and eat a good breakfast something to calm and relax you.  Music on the Radio.

Wish you well thinking of you in my prayers.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • kelley1234
    Hi poppy I do understand that . I am unable to dress my lower body . Walk long distance and spend most of my time in bed during the day where I'm up in pain all night . Also medication side affects don't help. I need assistance to get out of bed and assistance to bath and cook so I kind of know as I was awarded standard rate daily living and standard mobility 2 years ago . I'm also incontinent which I can't get to a toilet fast enough because of my legs . This was due to a hysterectomy 3 years ago . I am obviously suffering depression and grief and anxiety which is not helping the situation . I totally understand what pip is for . I'm suffering uncontrolled epilepsy too it's just all too much at the moment but thanks for your advice ?
  • kelley1234
    The spiceman
    Thankyou for your kind words . I took some of your advice and made a step for some councilling . I really appreciate your input . I'm really trying to relax as I'm sure I'll be fine it's just you read all these negative things and it doesn't help if you have anxiety xx
  • thespiceman
    Hello @kelley1234   Please try no too worry anxiety I know about my self.  Please try to think of pleasant thoughts.

Deep breathing and some meditation.

Have a look on the forum did a series of Coping Methods lots of ideas and suggestions.

Around 16th to 18th October, called Physiological Coping methods you need to scroll down and find them.

I am always here if I can be a friend.  Always ready to listen offer anything have done a lot of assessments please if can add you need to focus and try not to think negative.

My wonderful friend @poppy123456 has given you a lot of guidance.

I would also it does help write down how you are and how your coping.  Make some notes on anything that @poppy123456 has given you for reference.

Right now your mind is thinking the worst please do not think the worst. Be thinking the positivity and the confidence, reassurance you need to deal with this.

I know never easy but you will be OK. 

Please if you need some one to talk to happy to be here for support.  Not going any where.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.