SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS DEPARTMENT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS DEPARTMENT

Options
yasmin
yasmin Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone,

I have a 23 year old daughter.She has a diagnosis of global delay,epilepsy and learning difficulties since birth,childhood & teens.She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at the age of 18 years.

In the search of better health and education for my daughter, I had migrated to UK from Pakistan a year before.

After arriving in UK,I had enrolled my daughter with the social services.
They had immediately helped me to get my daughter's health sorted out.
For her education,she was referred to the area's SEN Department. 

My daughter's Education and Health Care Plan was finalised in June 2019.I was informed that by September 2019,my daughter would be admitted to a special college.Right now,she had been admitted and she is waiting for SEN Department transport arrangement to her college. 

It has been three weeks since I have applied for my daughter's transport application.
I am only told that the transport department would inform me once their decision has been made.

I havent been given much information about the transport arrangements and what to expect in further of how long it takes for transport approval.
My daughter is now waiting home and is unable to attend her five days schedule in college.
My daughter has been waiting for a year for getting enrolled in a special institute. 
Can anyone guide me what to do next if I don't hear anything from the SEN transport department.Thank you.

Kind regards. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi,

My daughter attends college and she also has a learning disability and ASD, she's unable to go out alone and used to have a taxi provided by my local council to attend college 4 days a week. Unfortunately, we recently moved house and i'm now waiting to hear from our new local council about transport but i won't expect to hear something yet. It's only been 1 week that i applied.

This service is provided and dealt with by your local council home to school transport and it's these you need to contact regarding this. It can take time for the transport to be sorted and 3 weeks really isn't that long. When i first applied for transport for my daughter it took 6 weeks to receive a reply from my local council.

In the meantime is there any way you or another member of your family can take her?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • yasmin
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

It has reassured me for the fact that I'm not the only one who is struggling to get their child into their routine educational system. 

Kind regards.
  • yasmin
    Options
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My son has spina bifida. 
    We are considering the free transport scheme to school and back as well, as I want him to experience independence too! 
    Currently my son goes to nursery twice a week. Call your local council to find out more. If however, he is not deemed to be eligible, we will research other options. He could cope on the bus though I'm not sure if we could get his wheelchair on there safely. It is a balancing act. How do I balance my son's need for independence with his right not to be ridiculed? 

Brightness