PIP and Mental Health - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Mental Health

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    @pkeith95 no, I was originally on enhanced and this recent assessor obviously doesn't seem to understand mental health because he removed points in anything indicating that I have MH problems despite there being evidence, the assessor has made it about my physical health and suggested standard however, like I said before, the case manager was disputing things and my GP was asked for info which has obviously been ignored *shrugs*. Time to start working on an MR I think lol.

Anyway, take care :)
  • pkeith95
    pkeith95 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I’m so sorry to read this, it’s devastating really because still people do not understand mental health issues fully.  I feel incredibly lucky to have had a mental health nurse assess me.  I dread to think what would have happened if not.

Keep fighting, and take care :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Thank you very much and thanks for understanding.

• pkeith95
    Quick Update:

2 weeks ago today I had my PIP assessment and today I received my first payment.

I’m very pleased with the process, I’m happy with the level they assessed me at and the speed with which I was given my decision.  Hopefully the letter arrives today too.

I really wanted to show some positive experiences with PIP because when I was going through the process I was terrified due to all the negative experience that people have had.  It made me feel better when I saw that someone, anyone, had had a positive experience, especially with Mental Health.

Keep fighting on everyone :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Brilliant news! I love seeing positive posts because exactly like i always tell others, we mostly only hear the bad stories.

Also, if you claim any other benefits, depending on your PIP award and other circumstances you maybe entitled to other benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pkeith95
    Thanks @poppy123456

I’ve been advised the ESA is something I should be looking at but I am not sure that PIP will make a difference to the New Style ESA as it’d probably be contributory.

I’m glad to have been able to show a positive experience.  Hopefully it’ll make a difference to someone :) 

Oh and of course, a HUGE thank you to everyone who supported me in this thread @poppy123456 @Chloe_Scope @Adrian_Scope

Wonderful people x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's amazing news @pkeith95!! Thank you for sharing this with us! You are most welcome. If you need any support with ESA (or anything else) then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm really happy for you @pkeith95 and I'm glad the process has been relatively smooth for you. Thank you for sharing. To echo Poppy  it's really important people share their positive stories too.

New Style ESA is contribution-based, so you'd probably be looking at applying for Universal Credit and LCW/LCWRA, but it of course depends on what else you're claiming and your personal situation as to whether you'd be eligible.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    New style ESA is based on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working and you're right, a PIP claim won't make any difference to this. You also need a fit note to be able to claim this.

Universal Credit is a means tested benefit and claiming that will depend on your circumstances, household income and savings. A fit note will also be needed to claim limited capability for work but a PIP award won't affect this, sadly.

If you're claiming housing benefit then you should let your local council know when you receive your award letter as it may affect it in a good way.

Anything else will be things like road tax but it will depend whether you receive the mobility part and what level. Blue badge if you receive mobility but again, what level.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pkeith95
    You guys are awesome, thank you so much for the advise.  I’ll see how I get on :) 
  • pkeith95
    Wow, got my decision letter through today, they’ve awarded me
    PIP til 2022! I’m flabbergasted as I thought it would only be a year and a half at most. 

This is a huge weight off my shoulders and mind.  Brilliant news
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's brilliant news @pkeith95, I'm really pleased for you!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news @pkeith95!! :)
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pkeith95   Congratulations wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.