Illnesses that will not improve and lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Illnesses that will not improve and lcwra

Redeemed
Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Okay sowe're new to UC, was claiming carers and IS before but thatnsk to ATOS that's all gone.
I have a number of chronic conditions that will either not improve such as fibromyalgia and prolapsed disks or mental health problems that are untreatable such as borderline personality disorder.
If these are declared as such by medical professionals what is the likelihood of the UC mob calling me in for assessment every so often?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A diagnosis, doesn't automatically entitle you to LCW or LCWRA to claim this you need to send in fit notes from your GP, if you haven't already done this. If you have then you will be referred for a work capability assessment, once this is done you'll be sent the work capability assessment forms, which will need to be filled in and returned with all your evidence to support your claim.

Once you return all that the health assessment providers will look at everything you sent, including the form and decide if a face to face assessment is needed and i'm afraid most people have them. It's very rare to have a paper based assessment. If one is needed, you'll be sent an appointment. If you need a home assessment then you'll need a letter from your GP stating why you can't attend the assessment centre but if you attend other appointments do be aware that this can go against you for a home assessment.

Once the assessment is complete a report will be returned to DWP, if the decision is LCW then you won't receive any extra money each month. If it's LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month after you sent your first fit note.

If it's fit for work then you'll be expected to look for work. Of course, as always if you're not happy with the decision you'll have 1 month to request the MR.

My advice is to expect a face to face assessment and if one isn't needed, it's a bonus.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Redeemed
    thanks I think the gist of my question was though if you have a medical and are found to be say lcwra and your conditions are not going to improve are you likely to be dragged in again for a totally bogus meeting with someone who is looking to 'fail' you (trod this path before with ESA)?

• poppy123456
    You can be reassessed anytime from 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Redeemed
    so fundamentally it's a case of 'keep looking at you because we are determined to find you fit for work even though you plainly were not ona previous medical and nothing has changed'.
    this type of system is nothing short of bullying and hectoring.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy123456, when I sent my wca form back I just sent it, not all the supporting evidence I have. Dont recall them asking for any but sure I said on the form that I did have stuff. Will they accept this if I take it to my assessment? My counsellor is just writing extra stuff now that I dont have yet, so what do I do?
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Redeemed said:
    so fundamentally it's a case of 'keep looking at you because we are determined to find you fit for work even though you plainly were not ona previous medical and nothing has changed'.
    Such is the corrupt nature of the current UK government, and how it manipulates the DWP. They just want the disabled to disappear so that they can make more money by paying less tax. 
  • poppy123456
    Poppy123456, when I sent my wca form back I just sent it, not all the supporting evidence I have. Dont recall them asking for any but sure I said on the form that I did have stuff. Will they accept this if I take it to my assessment? My counsellor is just writing extra stuff now that I dont have yet, so what do I do?
    They never ask for any, it's the claimants responsibility to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

You can try to hand it in at the assessment and hopefully they will accept it.
  • poppy123456
    Redeemed said:
    It's exactly the same for thousands of others. The only ones that are exempt from future assessments are those that are placed into the severe conditions group and that's very few people.

If you were given LCWRA through substantial risk rather than one of the descriptors they you can't be placed into the severe conditions group.
  • Redeemed
    interesting. I haven't had my assessment yet but looking at all the evidence I SHOULD be placed in the LCWRA group on mental heralth reasons.
    I have a meeting with a mental health practitioner in November. I'm going to take the DWP descriptors with me and go through them as to why I cannot perform their 'tasks' and get as much delineated and recorded as possible.
    Time to get mean.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Redeemed said:
    interesting. I haven't had my assessment yet but looking at all the evidence I SHOULD be placed in the LCWRA group on mental heralth reasons.
    I have a meeting with a mental health practitioner in November. I'm going to take the DWP descriptors with me and go through them as to why I cannot perform their 'tasks' and get as much delineated and recorded as possible.
    Time to get mean.
    Back in the late 1990s I found out about the life long disability i have been living with, from trying to help our children in the education system. I was asked to help the UK Medical Research Council gain government funding for a 5 year research program. after the research program began the researchers  started to send me pdf copies of their research papers, which initally took me months to read, having to understand the new terminology that they sometimes use. At the same time I became a Wikipedia editor more about providing supporting research for articles rather then editing the words you read, which is all due to my communication disability. during this time I found research and compiled research paper collections regarding many Invisible disabilities, which I have listed on my Wikipedia User page 
    Hopefully you may be able to find some useful  information regarding your issues 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poppy123456
    Redeemed said:
    Time to get mean.
    If you're affected by mental health one of the main routes to LCWRA for those suffering with the way this affects them is substantial risk, rather than the main LCWRA descriptors. This is explained here in this link. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

• Redeemed
    thankyou poppy123456, I'm assuming that this would automatically be addressed by the decision makers rather than me having to point it out to them?
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Not the decision maker no. If the HCP thinks you are a substantial risk then they will recommend this is the report when they write it. It will be based on the evidence you send, the form you filled in and a face to face assessment if one is needed and most people have them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.