Flu jabs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Flu jabs

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

Flu vaccination is available every year on the NHS to help protect adults and children at risk of flu and its complications. Some people are more at risk and are more likely to develop potentially serious complications of flu, such as pneumonia so it's recommended that they have a flu vaccine every year to help protect them.

cartoon image of woman in bed with a thermometer in her mouth

Who should get the flu vaccine?

The flu vaccine is routinely given on the NHS to:

When to have a flu vaccine

The best time to have a flu vaccine is in the autumn, from the beginning of October to the end of November. If you are more at risk, your GP should get in touch with you but if they haven't and you are concerned, then you can get in touch with your GP and ask.

You can find out more by reading the answers to the most common questions that people have about the flu vaccine.

Who else can have flu job?

Most people can have a flu jab, if you aren't in the at risk groups to get it for free, you can still get the vaccination from a pharmacy or chemist for a fee of around £10.

Carers are recommended to have the flu vaccination but it can be hard to prove this for a free jab if you don't get Carers Allowance or have any official documents. Some of these people can pay to get the vaccination, but this could put a financial pressure on many families. If you are concerned, then please speak to your GP surgery to see if they can help.

Have you had your flu jab this year? Have you struggled to get the flu jab? Has the financial impact of a flu vaccination effected you? 
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I haven't had the flu jab since university, but I unfortunately used to get the flu afterwards!  But maybe I was just unlucky!  My parents get their flu jab every year and it helps them as they are both in their 80's, so it is probably a good idea to get if if you can.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughter is currently unwell with the flu already. Having said that I am having the flu shot tomorrow as I am six months pregnant. So will my son as a precaution since he was in hospital for several days last month. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Had mine at work and was told that you cannot have it the same week as your anti tnf injection. This was news to me so might be of interest to others in a similar situation. This was in a hospital. I've never been told this before. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Ails said:
    I haven't had the flu jab since university, but I unfortunately used to get the flu afterwards!  But maybe I was just unlucky!  My parents get their flu jab every year and it helps them as they are both in their 80's, so it is probably a good idea to get if if you can.  :smile:
    It is recommended for those with compromised immune systems. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Had ours at the chemist this year (free) usually had them at the GP's for the last 15 years as we both have conditions that qualify us for free jabs.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• focus
    focus Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    My wife and I had ours at the doctor's last week, I had my jab for my diabetes check the same time.
  • DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    I am over 70 and a wheelchair user . My GP staff contact me every year without fail and arrange my flu jab . All done last week .
  • Strandman
    Strandman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm 69 and a wheelchair user
    I have not had a flu jab for many years.  This is because when I had the jab I was unwell for almost 2 weeks after. I didn't have the jab last year and I didn't get the flu.
    Should I not contract flu this year then I'll think about not having the jab each year.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I'm almost 40 and this year finding it incredibly difficult everytime i ring to book my flu jab it isn't in stock - both my GP and chemist are telling me that there is a shortage of jabs and they are having difficulty getting them in.

I'm not sure what to do, obviously my professional carer is covered by her company but my hubby (as my main carer) and are still open to getting it and I'm worried
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really concerning @Jean Eveleigh - Can they give you an idea of when they will have them in stock?

My husband went for his this morning, he paid for it at the chemist and mine is booked for Saturday at the GP.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't stand needles...I just try and avoid people even more than usual in winter! :o 

My Nan has had hers though...no mention of a shortage here despite the large number of people, she had to wait for well over an hour!
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    I had mine this afternoon, asthmatic and wheelchair user.
    Had an horrendous cold that lasted for 3 weeks, went onto my chest. Really don’t fancy getting flu.
    I believe I’m very fortunate, I’ve only had flu twice and that was more than enough.
    Take care all???

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Not sure if I can get a free flu jab. I have a vitamin b12 injection every 10 week. This years beeb hard, 3 colds, the flu and severe sinusitis. 
    Maybe ask my pharmacist 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya susan48,
    Why don’t you give your GPs surgery a ring, there’s no harm in asking it’s worth a try. Good luck. ???
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I went to my GP in the end, had to pick something up from reception on Thursday so asked them an they said yep no problems come back tommoroww so I had my jab yesterday no problems.

Arm a bit sore but apart from that no issues at all with it.

I've had a bad reaction in the past (got really bad flu) so I always take could and flu tablets for the first day or two after my jab just incase only took one yesterday then slept for 12 hours.
  • April2018mom
    My daughter is currently unwell with the flu already. Having said that I am having the flu shot tomorrow as I am six months pregnant. So will my son as a precaution since he was in hospital for several days last month. 
    Which was delayed.. 
  • April2018mom
    My son and I had ours at the same time. I always ask for it to be done in his leg. Someone came to the flat as I requested a home visit. My arm is sore. 
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Don't know what to do, to be honest. 

Last time (3years ago) the vaccine liquid literally ran straight out again!!

Practice nurse said she'd never seen that before and maybe my body was rejecting it because I have an autoimmune illness?

Now I feel too scared to try again! 
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @April2018mom

Hope your daughter has recovered well from the flu. 
    Poor lass, it's a horrible thing! 

Brightness