Please advise — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please advise

Annsmeth
Annsmeth Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone new to the group, I have been receiving Esa (support group) and Dla (lower rate) which will be ending 19th november. I have applied for pip had home assessments for both esa and pip as im agoraphobic and cant get out. On saturday i recieved a letter informing me i wont be receiving pip i scored 0 on everything.. Even planning and following a journey.. Which i cant do without help.. They informed me i can appeal.. Ive gone onto my bank account this morning.. And my esa hasnt been paid in.. So has that been stopped too? I live alone i have no savings i dont know what to do.. Please help.. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hi and welcome,

Firstly, your ESA has most likely been suspended because the PIP decision's been made. This does very often cause issues with other benefits and a simple phone call to DWP will put it right. If you haven't recently had an assessment for ESA then you can't be found fit for work without an assessment. ESA are open now please ring them and they will be able to do a same day payment.

What exactly was your DLA award?

If you claim housing benefit the same thing is likely to happen to that, so you will need to contact your local council too. If you live with non dependents, then your housing benefit will be affected and you will receive less. Please ring them ASAP.

Now your PIP, you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

Do be aware that DLA and PIP are different. PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Having some understanding of what the descriptors mean always helps. I'd advise you to have a read of this link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Most MR decisions remain the same, so it's likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is that waiting times for hearings are huge in most parts of the country and some are waiting a year for a hearing date.

If you can get some face to face advice from an agency near you then i'd advise you to do this. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Annsmeth
      The only thing I can suggest is if you give them a ring and find out if your esa has been stopped. If it has I recommend you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration and if no success then Tribunal.
    For your immediate needs, if there is no one to help out, you could try registering with your local food bank Good luck.
          Debsidoo.x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to contact Citizen's Advice pronto. They can help you overturn a decision. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/challenging-an-esa-decision/
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

Good luck and keep us updated! 

P.S. It is important not to delay as you only have twenty eight days to contest a benefits decision. Explain why you do not agree with their decision, stating all reasons as to why as well. What group are you in? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    As i advised on your other thread, unless you've recently had another assessment for your ESA it's very unlikely that your money has been stopped, it's most likely been suspended because of the PIP decision and your DLA award ending. You can't be found fit for work without a face to face assessment.

Please see your other thread for the advice i gave on there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Annsmeth
    Annsmeth Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Thankyou so much everyone for your very informative advice.. I got dla for mobility and it was the lower payment.. Rang dwp and they sorted my esa.. So still getting that.. I have also spoken to welfare rights team and they are now helping me with the mandatory reconsideration letter.. I cant thank you all enough just hope i get the pip sorted now.. Thanks again x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.