Re: PIP MR - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re: PIP MR

2»

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Please get in touch with Citizen's Advice. They can help you contest the decision that was made. Or speak with a benefit advisor. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious

Just clarification on this: "I think it really is just a tick box within the assessment, that if you're claiming for mental health then they'll check to see if you've got a licence, I doubt it'll even be mentioned at tribunal, but if it is you can just explain that you passed a while ago and no longer drive - and give the reasons for that." 

Are you saying the DWP check that I have a licence with the DWP? But as you said: it proves I no longer drive

Maybe I've read too much into it, but my letter seems to suggest they did contact DVLA?  They don't take any evidence over 2 years old so I hope they haven't just assumed my 2009 test pass means I'm still fit to drive...?

Also I agree with @cristobal, being trustworthy and experiencing anxiety aren't of any interest for PIP, you'll need to prove overwhelming psychological distress or a major safety issue.  Obviously getting hit by cars would count as a safety issue, but they will need to decide whether that risk is high enough and frequent enough to award you anything...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's highly unlikely they check anything with DVLA, they rarely contact medical professionals, so contacting DVLA is even less likely.

The most likely explanation as to the reasons they know you have a license is because the claimant has mentioned something either in the PIP2 form or at the face to face assessment. You'll be very surprised the things we forget happened during the assessment. The general "chit chat" is their way of finding things out about you.

As for evidence not being accepted if it's more than 2 years old is definitely not correct, despite them advising this on the PIP2 form forms.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    @OverlyAnxious

DWP are assuming that you are fit to drive because you have a driving licence - I'm also doubtful that they would contact the DVLA (much simpler just to ask the claimant)

I don't believe that there is any limit on how old evidence should be. (edit - just noticed that Poppy said this!!)

Obviously more recent is better but most of the evidence that I sent was over five years old. This might be because my condition is degenerative and so a more recent report is not relevant...
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    cristobal said:
    @OverlyAnxious

DWP are assuming that you are fit to drive because you have a driving licence - I'm also doubtful that they would contact the DVLA (much simpler just to ask the claimant)

I don't believe that there is any limit on how old evidence should be. (edit - just noticed that Poppy said this!!)

Obviously more recent is better but most of the evidence that I sent was over five years old. This might be because my condition is degenerative and so a more recent report is not relevant...
    Fair enough, that hasn't been my experience though.  It's written all over my assessment report, first decision form and MR that the only evidence I could provide is 3 years old so isn't relevant for proof of illness...  Yet they're happy to assume passing a driving test a some point in the past counts as proof of wellness...  :/  

If they're not checking, they might also be surprised to learn that nearly a million people in the UK are currently driving without a licence...  I definitely wasn't asked if I have one or for how long, just if I drive a manual car...  This is what annoys me with the PIP assessment compared to the ESA assessment, all of the questions are obscure or leading to try and catch people out in the PIP assessment.  The ESA assessment was much more direct and fair in my opinion.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.