MRI & anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MRI & anxiety

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @justdon, MRI's can be daunting, I've had 2 while awake and 2 while I've been asleep or sedated. 

They give you a button to hold, to press, if you feel uncomfortable or anxious and would like to get out. They should give you ear plugs or headphones to block out the noises, you can still hear them but not overwhelming as much.

My first MRI, I tried to create a beat, from the noises, and that helped me to relax and pass the time by. You can fall asleep also, well I did anyway! 

Hope this helps
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I've had quite a few MRI's and i find them very daunting. For me it's the enclosed space and feeling that you don't have much room. Also the dark tunnel does it for me and i've always been awake for all of mine.

The button they give you to hold helps, if you feel anxious at all just press the button. They also talked me at times during the procedure.

For me, i close my eyes and keep them shut until i'm back out again, this may help you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited October 2019
    Hi @justdon.
    My other half has another of these scheduled in the near future and has always said that they're very loud and play havoc with her anxieties. She's never been able to fall asleep, but tries to close her eyes, make lists in her head, or tells herself a story.

If they're of any use, there's some tips on getting through the experience here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Scoobie
    Scoobie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    justdon said:
    Hi
    Not sure if this is the correct section to post in about this?
    Does anyone have any experience of MRI?
    As in being in one ..
    I have one booked (long awaited )
    And not very keen on hospitals etc just wondered how people found it and what they do to keep calm in there !

Many thanks :-)

:wink: You can ask to go in an open scanner but you have to get funding via your gp if you get permission  you will have to travel to the nearest hospital music may help to ease the anxiety x.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for this @Scoobie and welcome to the community. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I`ve had 4 MRIs and had no trouble with any of them. Fortunately I don't suffer from any angst to do with them, as do a lot people. Yes, they are very noisy and so close you your face.

But they will not harm you in any physical way. You can ask for certain music to be played. I asked for Westlife!

So choose your music, keep your eyes closed and try to drift off.
  • [Deleted User]
  • pollyanna1052
    edited October 2019
    justdon said:
    Oh i definitely wont be able to sleep lol !
    Thats great you dont worry about them and are calm ..  i think there is some part of me that worries it will cave in on me or swallow me up or something ?
    And no offense at all .. but if they start playing west life i will be out of there like i never had a back problem !it might even cure me ?lol
    But on a serious note thankyou so much ..
    Thats all very reassuring.
    Do you think i would be allowed to listen to the archers ombnibus in there ?

Haha..if Westlife cures you, then we all want more...it didn't cure me, but helped pass the time.

But honestly, the machine will not swallow you up, or cave in on you. I have heard asking your GP for a sedative to take beforehand, could help.

It`s the Lumber punctures that I dread....now both of mine hurt like being hit by a massive wrecking ball! I may be in line for another soon.
  • [Deleted User]
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @justdon

My son has had them in the past. He has never been sedated. I recommend listening to calming music before hand it helps. I have one coming up soon we well and I have asked my doctor to give me a sedative to take thirty minutes prior to the scan. Try not to stress. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @justdon

My son has had them in the past. He has never been sedated. I recommend listening to calming music before hand it helps. I have one coming up soon we well and I have asked my doctor to give me a sedative to take thirty minutes prior to the scan. Try not to stress. 
    I thought your son was 2 years old, or am i mistaken?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @justdon, like @Ami2301, I too try to make a beat with the noises and waves. I hope it goes okay!
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
  • pollyanna1052

Dunno..have heard other folk say their LPs weren't painful. Might just be me and perhaps this mysterious illness
  • Chloe_Scope
    You can make all sorts of tunes!  :D

The headphones help a lot, it would be extremely loud without them! But you can still hear it.
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
  • Chloe_Scope
    I look forward to hearing your No. 1 hit tune! I really hope you don't find it too stressful. In the past I have found they are really understanding.
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @justdon

I thought your son was 2 years old, or am i mistaken?
    Yes but he tends to fidget. Last time he had one, he did not stay still for long. 

Brightness