Hello I'm new — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello I'm new

Electricdawn64
Electricdawn64 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi I just joined and wanted to say hello. I'm dawn and I have osteoarthritis in my hands and wrists mostly. I hadm an operation to remove one of the bones in my right thumb and replace it with a piece of tendon because the bone had crumbled. I am in constant pain but i some days it's worse than others. Today it took me a while to open the coffee (mostly using my forearms). It's my day off today. Work's harder these days and I've dropped a day. I'm an artist in my spare time and I've adapted my painting style to compensate. The slow movement helps my joints to not seize up. I hate it when I'm shopping and people are tutting behind me because I'm slow and have to use my forearms to pick up tins because I can't grip heavier objects. The highlight of my week was I got some great scissors that use palm pressure so I can now open bacon!! Hope your days are filled with little triumphs because they keep us going..... Off to make my bacon sandwich have a lovely day ?

Comments

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Interesting scissors!
    Hello and sure your find support and understanding here
  • Electricdawn64
    Fiskars shears Amazon ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Electricdawn64   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing and joining.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling. You have come to the right place for information, support and most important of all friendship.

You will find members of our community . Who can identify what you are going through and hopefully be in touch.

We are a friendly community. Please have a look around our website.

Please if I can suggest have you ever considered on line shopping for your supermarket shop.

I subscribe to TESCO.  Per month mid week delivery. £3.49.

Then they can deliver to your home. Carry the shopping into your home no lifting or carrying. Or deliver to your front door use your own bags and boxes.

I have disability of the hands and do find it a problem lifting and carrying.

There are other supermarkets does not have to be TESCO. Look on line one near to you.

One other tip. All jars are sealed with air to release tap the lid of the jar on a kitchen unit . Does help. After a few goes does work.

Use then hands can turn jar use a floor cloth extra grip.  

Hope that helps.

Please I hope you enjoy your time with the community. Please ask if we can help and advise or ask anything.

Some one will know a member of our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Electricdawn64
    Thanks I will try this. The shopping thing I pure stubbornness on my part I think ?
    But you are right
    I may have to start getting the tins and heavy stuff delivered. Good tip about the jars ??
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Electricdawn64 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles.  Your scissors sound helpful and I hope you enjoyed your bacon sandwich!  Yummy!  :smiley:  Your painting sounds interesting.  What kind of things do you paint?  You will find the Community to be a very supportive space with lots of lovely, friendly people on it.  I look forward to reading future posts from you.  Please let us know if there is anything we can help/support you with.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Electricdawn64   Thank you for the art you have done.

It is amazing love the dog painting remind me of my own dog I once had.

You have a skill and a talent much admired by me and I am sure others will as well.

Look forward to more, great to see.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Electricdawn64
    Thank you ?
    This is the painting of my dog

• thespiceman
    Hello @Electricdawn64   Thank you for the painting.  What a lovely dog you have.  

Love the eyes and the pose .  Great .

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Hi @Electricdawn64.  Your painting and art work is amazing!  You have a real talent there so well done!  The animals are so life like!  Beautiful dog by the way.  Thanks for showing them to us.  :smile:
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Dawn...oh wow! Your work is so amazing!
    Hope you enjoyed your bacon sarnie!xx
  • Electricdawn64
    Thank you Pollyanna, and yes I did x
  • Electricdawn64
    Thank you Ails x
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Electricdawn64 - welcome to the community. I too battle with osteoarthrosis, & so pleased to read that you keep your affected joints moving to stop them seizing up.....something I also do, but wish it resulted in lovely pieces of art such as yours! I love your elephants (always had a weakness for them), but hard to resist those doggy eyes, which you have also captured so well. Thank you very much for sharing.

If you look around this forum & look at the groups, you will see there's one called the 'Coffee Lounge,' within that is one titled 'Kaleidoscope,' where people show photos of their art. I hope you will share your art there too.
  • Electricdawn64
    Thank you chiarieds I will take a look ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Brilliant to have you here @Electricdawn64. Your artwork is fantastic. Really love the elephants! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Electricdawn64 Seems like there's another elephant lover above! Do you have any more elephant artwork? What are you working on at the moment? Hope you've had a good day.
  • Electricdawn64
    Thank you Adrian ?
  • Electricdawn64
    Hi again chiarieds, I'm painting a ladies 5 cats for her surprise birthday present and also  some glass painting on jars and making pins for the Christmas fair. 

• Ails
    They are amazing @Electricdawn64!  So colourful!  You have such a talent.  I love anything with cats on it!  Beautiful!  :smiley:

Brightness