Carers Backdate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Backdate

Options
tel110571
tel110571 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, 
I am new to this after becoming I'll in April, I eventually got my pip award this month after going through a reconsideration.
Pip was backdated back to June will carrers be backdated to that date, my wife has applied already And UC are already paying us ?
Thanks in Advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

When claiming UC and carers allowance at the same time the carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payment. The carers allowance will only be backdated to the start of the PIP claim if she claimed carers allowance within 3 months of the decision made on the PIP claim.

If she hasn't already reported that she's a carer on her journal then she needs to make sure she does this and then the carers element of UC will be added to your claim.

Unless you're living in Scotland there's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance and UC because you can claim the carers element without claiming carers allowance. The only advantage is that carers allowance pay class 1 NI and UC pay class 3. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tel110571
    Options
    Thank you.. so caters will be backdated from June when the PIP was backdated to ? 

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. If the decision on the PIP was within the last 3 months then yes, otherwise no.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    One thing to add is that any backdated money received from carers allowance will be an overpayment for your UC claim because carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 for UC amounts. Any over payment will need to be repaid back from future UC amounts.
  • tel110571
    Options
    thank you. I more question sorry.. will carers know that pip was awarded from June or do I need to inform them. 
    Very helpful thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They will check.

When was the decision made on the PIP award?
  • tel110571
    Options
    10 days ago.. backdated from June 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When a claim for carers allowance is made your partner will need to put a date for it to start from, which is the date of your PIP award. As advised, it will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC amount anyway.

Your partner needs to report a change on their UC journal that they are caring for you for at least 35 hours per week, then the carers element will be added.
  • tel110571
    Options
    Brilliant thank you very much 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • tel110571
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain poppy123456 but this is all new to me I've never been unable to work...
    Am I right in saying that carers pay my partner, UC take the amount which i believe is 260ish from their payment and give us 160 how is that right or am I being thick lol
    MY pip was awarded and of June, will carers backdate 16 weeks like PIP did ??
    Sorry for my bombardment of question, but it seems your more clued up than DWP.
    Thank you inadvance
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers allowance pay your partner £66.15 per week.

The amount that's deducted from your UC for the carers allowance is £286 per month because carers allowance is paid weekly and UC is paid monthly. To work out a monthly payment you do as follows.... £66.15 x 52 then divide by 12.

You need to make sure that UC know your partner is your carer and that the carers element of £160 per month is added.

This means your UC will be something like this...
    Standard allowance, if both over 35  £489.89
    Carers element    £160.20

plus any other elements you may receive like housing

They then deduct £286 from all of that. Hope this helps.
  • tel110571
    Options
    Thank you excellent help  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @tel110571! I am really glad that @poppy123456 has been able to help you here. If there is anything else you need then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• tel110571
    Options
    Thank you.. it’s been a minefield all this its all new to us been very helpful. 

Brightness