Staring — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Staring

Options
Sarah1984
Sarah1984 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Hello.  I was born with a spinal condition/disability called Scoliosis.  Scoliosis is a curve of the spine.  I am short in stature for my age because of it and i use a wheelchair when i go out, because i get tired walking.  Sometimes children stare at me.  I can understand why they stare at me, because they don't understand why i am using a wheelchair.  I thought of the message below for other disabled people that get stared at.  Do you get stared at?  Do you smile at the person who is staring at you or just ignore it? I have a Facebook page called See the person, not just the condition/disability https://facebook.com/mescoliosisdisability

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is a great message, @Sarah1984.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  I tend to smile at children or even adults who stare, but I must admit that I don't get it as much these days if I am out.  
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love this! 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I get stared at by children and adults. I usually smile. When adults  run in front of me, I say` I`ll get you next time`. It usually brings a chuckle.

Yesterday, when out shopping I must have evaporated into thin air, when a man barged in front of me in a shop cue. I said `Am I invisible?` His wife looked at me and shook her head in an apologetic way...but the intruder did naff all.

Ah well, all in a day`s doings.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! :)
    Scope

Brightness