my doctor is refusing to give me anymore pain relief and antidepressants. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my doctor is refusing to give me anymore pain relief and antidepressants.

roxieb88
roxieb88 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Honestly I'm at my wits end with all this.
I don't know if its because pip contacted him. But he wont give me anymore medication? Is this allowed? I mentioned last time I was there that my friend said I had similar symptoms to her husband who has fibro. So I asked if he could test That too while I'm having tests on my legs and back. Then when I went back last week n he said he's not giving me any more pain relief or antidepressants until my blood results come back!
I used to self medicate with alcohol about 6 years ago after my mother passed away n just refused to get help until it almost killed me. I feel like I'm drowning!
What can I do? Xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You could see another GP and maybe they will be more understanding. As for the fibromyalgia, having been diagnosed with this myself several years ago, there's no specific test for this. It's a matter of ruling out other things before they can diagnose this. A diagnosis for this can take years with many different tests before it's diagnosed.

You really shouldn't compare your friend to yourself because we are all affected differently by these conditions and fibro mimics so many other conditions.

We are not medically trained here to give any advice about medication but i think your GP is right to wait until the blood test results come back. Blood test results are usually back in a few days, give you GP practice in a ring in a couple of days and see if they are back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • roxieb88
    edited October 2019
    I know it can take years! I never compared myself to my friend. She just said SOME of the things I was telling her sounded like what her husband was experiencing n told me to just ask the doctor to get tested for it too.

I was on pain medication for my hips legs and back. The pain I get in my legs all the time is agonising, can't walk on my one leg because my hip seizes up and I'm currently under going physio and endless tests for that!!

Also I'm not asking for advice on medication. I'm just asking advice on what I can do about my doctor saying I cant have my medication, not even my antidepressants!

You should really read what people write before u comment!
  • poppy123456
    roxieb88 said:

You should really read what people write before u comment!
    I actually did read what you wrote, which is why i commented what i did. You asked if your GP can refuse to give you anymore medication and i advised yes they can as you're waiting for blood test results.

If you don't agree with your GP refusing to give you medication then please see another GP. We are limited to what we can advise here on an internet forum because we are not medically trained.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • roxieb88
    edited October 2019
    Well it just felt like an attack when u said I shouldnt compare.
    And im not in a good place right now. I'm trying to deal with pain and my mental health and personal issues, along with being told the only thing that helps keep me balanced and able to move im not allowed.
  • roxieb88
    edited October 2019
    Thanku hun.

He's just stopped them all completely until I get blood test results back.

I honestly don't understand it. Blood results aren't gunna tell him if I'm depressed or not.

I'd love to know answers!! Everything just takes so long with the nhs.

I know, I'd heard of the name but didn't even know what it was until my friend said it might be worth getting it checked out too.

I just feel like my doctors doing it because pip contacted him n just thinks I'm this spounger or something.
    So decided to stop them.
    Even though ive been seeing hin about this for 2 years.He barely even looked at me and just rushed me out the door.

I feel out of control, it's been so long since I haven't had my antidepressants too. All the stress over the last few months is just starting to erupt out of me and my head goes to such a dark place without them, just feel like I'm just this big inconvenience on everyone around me!

Thanku. ? think I'll just try another doctor. Xx
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Hmm shouldn't the GP have taken you off meds the correct way which would be slowly, not all of a sudden? No wonder you aren't feeling great. I went cold turkey in regards to my antidepressants and this was at the advice of a therapist, which was pretty dumb of him, it messed me up for about two weeks and then I was having some odd things happen for a while after.

I don't understand why a GP would do that. Can you speak to someone else?
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Perhaps your GP wants to check that your liver function and crp tests are okay? Phone your surgery today and see if the test results are back. As for the fibromyalgia I agree with @poppy123456 there isn't a specific tests for this. I hope you start to feel better soon. 

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I also thought a gp would take you off meds slowly cos your health would really be at risk if it was done in one session.
    Phoning docs to see what the results are is the best advice Please Do this asap and make an appointment with a different doc while your on the phone.
    Also do rest and play some music you like. Music will help you relax 

• [Deleted User]
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Please remember that we can not allow anyone to give medical advice on the online community. Also please ensure you treat others with respect whether you agree with them or not.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I hope you get some help @roxieb88
  • Cressida
    justdon said:
    Whether she has issues with her liver or not,is it not safe to take somebody off any med abruptly .
    Just another example of the medical "profession" getting it completely wrong and causing more harm than they fix ..

@justdon I never said it was safe to take her off meds. I was trying to be helpful. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry you felt like i was attacking you. As a community champion here on scope that most certainly wasn't what i was doing. It can sometimes be very difficult to read text speak correctly and for this reason it's easy to misread what someone is saying. Having helped hundred of people here on scope i certainly wasn't attacking you.
  • poppy123456
    roxieb88 said:
    Honestly I'm at my wits end with all this.
    I don't know if its because pip contacted him. But he wont give me anymore medication? Is this allowed? I mentioned last time I was there that my friend said I had similar symptoms to her husband who has fibro. So I asked if he could test That too while I'm having tests on my legs and back. Then when I went back last week n he said he's not giving me any more pain relief or antidepressants until my blood results come back!
    I used to self medicate with alcohol about 6 years ago after my mother passed away n just refused to get help until it almost killed me. I feel like I'm drowning!
    What can I do? Xx
    Having just re-read this it doesn't say that the medication has been completely stopped. It does say that the GP won't give them anymore medication but i don't read that as it was completely stopped.

I'd definitely advise to speak to another GP because as has already been advised we can't give medical advice here.
  • Cressida
    justdon said:

Sorry if i came accross bluntly ..it wasnt at all a dig at you ..
    I was thinking the same thing funnily enough but he still shouldnt be pulling someone off their addictive meds abruptly ...thats not a medical opinion ..its just a well known fact these days..
    Wasnt aimed at you ..
    Apologees !

@justdon thank you. I do agree nobody should be taken off of anti-depressants in that way. The NHS guidelines say that if you have been on them for over 6 to 8 months you should come off them over 6 to 8 weeks so it was a crazy thing to do. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @roxieb88   Pleased to meet you. Sorry to hear this.  Thank you sharing.

I am one of the community champions. Of the forum.

Please can I suggest the following may be of interest.

I would consider speaking to an advocate service called RETHINK.

You mentioned mental health issues . I would suggest have a look on the website.

https://www.rethink.org.

What they do is to represent you at any meetings or medical appointments. Can explain to you before an problems or issues that you may have.

I used many times. Can explain also on your behalf any treatments and any signposting for relevant issues.

I would also may I add consider speaking to a mental health charity.

I used this one.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Get some floating support or an outreach worker. Advice on your mental health and well being.  Anything else. Do take clientele with additional conditions.

Benefit and other related.

Might not be in all areas.

Could use MIND.

https://www.mind.org.uk.  

Please can I add further congratulations for staving off alcohol.  Well done to you.

I have been an alcoholic for thirty years. Now been clean twelve years. Have mental health issues.

Please if I also say it is never easy every day. The itch and the pain the stave  to keep off.  All I know have educated myself have learnt a lot from others like me.

You are always following some one.  You are not alone.

To give the reassurance met a lot of those of the addiction community on here this forum.

Happy to be supportive and anything I can help with gladly will do.  Ready to listen.

Know every time the struggle and heart ache.

Please if this helps I used the above mental health charity I mentioned . Even clean useful always to get extra support, advice and guidance.

The Charity has emphasis on addiction and mental health.

Please can I wish you the best and please keep in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.