benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

benefits

carly1
carly1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I currently receive ESA abd care for my mother I dont get carers allowance as ESA is more however i do get carers credit what does this ebtitle me to

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @carly1
    You can fill in a benefits calculator here that you can put all your info into and it will tell you what you could potentially be entitled to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @carly1 If you have claimed Carers Allowance but are not paid it as you get ESA instead, you should have a Carer Premium included in your ESA.  This is currently £36.85 a week payable by ESA.  If you do not get this, call ESA and query it.  If they say you are on contribution based ESA only, ask them to send you a form ESA3 to apply for the income related ESA.  Do not let them tell you you have to claim UC - this is not correct!  Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @carly1 If you have claimed Carers Allowance but are not paid it as you get ESA instead, you should have a Carer Premium included in your ESA.  This is currently £36.85 a week payable by ESA.  If you do not get this, call ESA and query it.  If they say you are on contribution based ESA only, ask them to send you a form ESA3 to apply for the income related ESA.  Do not let them tell you you have to claim UC - this is not correct!  Sarah
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo applying for Income related ESA or the income related top up will only be possible if carly is claiming the old legacy Contributions based ESA. If they are claiming New style ESA then it's not possible to claim the income related top up. It will of course need to be Universal Credit and claiming this will depend on circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @carly1,

The main question here is whether or not you are getting Income Related or Contribution Based ESA?

If you are on Income Related and you have an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, then you should get the Carers Premium added. You will not need to change to a Universal Credit claim to do this. 

@poppy123456 is right that there will be two different possibilities for claiming a Carers Premium if you get contribution based ESA, depending whether you are still on the old legacy Contribution Based ESA or if you are on New Style ESA.

Joanne 
    Scope
  • carly1
    Type your commenthank you for all your answers ans great info t
  • carly1
    thankyou it is so helpful I will contact dwp to see if I get this

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.