Halloween: Let’s see your pumpkins! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Halloween: Let’s see your pumpkins!

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Happy Halloween everyone!

Today, 31st October, is Halloween and traditionally this has meant that people have calved faces into pumpkins.

Bright orange pumpkin in focus with a blurred field of other pumpkin behind it

Why do we carve pumpkins?

The tradition of carving faces into vegetables or fruits dates to the Celts.

Many centuries ago as the summer harvest came to an end, the Celtic people prepared for the dark of winter by building big bonfires in their fields.

They believed evil spirits lurked in the shadows around the bonfires, so they wanted light to guide their paths to and from the bonfires. The Celts carved faces on large turnips and then hollowed out the inside of the vegetable so a candle could sit within it. The light shining out through the carved faces scared away evil spirits. It also showed the way to their homes for the good spirits and for travellers.

Here's another discussion on the community about accessibility and Halloween.  

How will you be celebrating Halloween? What will your pumpkin look like? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    This is the first year in 19 years that we haven't carved a pumpkin! My kids are now 14 and 16 and the eldest is off at Uni - I am feeling really sad about it!!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's crazy @Sam_Scope! It's so odd when traditions change. I've not done one since I went to uni and my younger sister is at a party tonight so isn't that fussed! 

I think the last pumpkin I carved was in the shape of a cat.  :D
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I went to a Halloween party last night. We drank pumpkin soup and had our own version of the GBBO with pumpkins. We made and ate pumpkin pie and pumpkin crumble for dessert. We even had pumpkin cocktails on a tray for guests to try. We even bobbed for pumpkin slices that were submerged in water as well. . 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Not up to much for Halloween, will get the usual wee drop of guisers around for their trick or treating, but that will be about it.  Halloween is my parents' wedding anniversary and they are 60 years married this year so we are off to see them tomorrow for a few days and will celebrate with them then.

I used to love celebrating Halloween when I was a Brownie Guider and always got my dad to carve out pumpkin as he was really good at it.  In Scotland a lot of people still use the traditional turnip, but think it's a bit easier to carve into a pumpkin.  Happy Halloween everyone!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope everyone had a nice Halloween! We had a quiet dinner at home and no trick or treaters!! So we now have a whole tub of sweetie!!! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_Scope
    That sounds great @April2018mom!

Happy anniversary to your parents @Ails! I hope you have a lovely day today.

I met a friend I've not seen in years for a few drinks which was lovely. Came back and we'd had one trick or treater so we too have a bowl of sweets.  :D 

Scope

• Ails
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope, for your lovely good wishes.  Had a really nice time with my parents and they enjoyed their celebrations.  Ate way too much, lol!  I hope you enjoyed your time with your friend.  Sounds fab and so nice to catch up with people you've not seen in a while!  

We only had 4 children at the door for Halloween so had a few bags left over too!  :smile:
  • Chloe_Scope
    So glad you had a lovely time with your parents @Ails! Always good to have some sweets left. ;)
    Scope

• Ails
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope.  Yes, very true!  :smiley:

Brightness