positive or negative experience claiming benefits and why ? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

positive or negative experience claiming benefits and why ?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi @justdon - I feel this an important subject you've raised; for example Overlyanxious showed that benefit 'criteria' didn't appreciate, nor show much understanding, of the problems they faced. This is sadly too often the case. Let's work together to raise awareness, as best we can, of the many diverse problems we face, which often share similar communalities, so this may become accessible/understandable to all, including assessors.
    If you may consider:
    a. certainly 'invisible disorders' are poorly understood (I have one, if not 2); I believe you've also mentioned this.
    b. Pain is misunderstood, & is subjective....it can be difficult to describe this objectively, so that others understand (including assessors)
    c. It's sometimes difficult to receive advice, however well meant, as you may not have felt you have sought this (even if this was indirect).... so this is sadly ignored.
    Hey, as Poppy said, she was just telling her story; mainly about circumnavigating benefit criteria.
    Please let's be kind to each other, & also reach out to understand more from each other.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited November 2019
    @Chobbly I'll try and explain now but I'm pretty pants at explaining.

So the negative things with ESA were that I was awarded ESA at one point just for having a fractured ankle and yet they never took my mental health seriously, and they deemed me fit for work twice pretty much back to back, first time I waited 12 months for the appeal, around 3 months after winning that appeal, they send me another form and again they deemed me fit after the assessment, the second time I waited 18 months for the appeal because they lost my paperwork, I won that appeal also, during this period of time I was trying to feed both myself and my Son, plus pay the bills and such. It ended up making my health worse. They used excuses like, "looked clean", "wasn't rocking in her chair". 

I think you saw my post about PIP? I'll link the main one below as I made two about PIP :)

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/59580/pip-report
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    chiarieds said:

Hey, as Poppy said, she was just telling her story; mainly about circumnavigating benefit criteria.
    Please let's be kind to each other, & also reach out to understand more from each other.
    @chiarieds - fully agree...

The point about being receptive to advice is a good one - and this is an advice forum after all, as it says on the header at the top of the page. Without wishing to 'compartmentalise' people too much if you look back through the posts they seem to fall into three general groups -

• Those looking for advice
    • Those who post a question - and are looking for people to agree with them
    • Those who continually post about how poor the DWP are, and how everything is corrupt..
    The thing about advice is that, if it doesn't sound right, then you don't have to take it. There's no need to start an argument, or post offensive comments, even if the advice isn't what you want to hear. 

Your point about being kind, and understanding each others point of view is also a good one. I've personally had a really good experience with DWP, and a complete nightmare with Capita, but the thing is to always remember that you are dealing with individuals, albeit working within a certain company framework. They are not corrupt, lazy, incompetent, untrained - some might be, but most are not. You get lazy, corrupt people in every job, I imagine.

I've given up pointing this out now, having attracted a wide range of abuse including 'jackbooted thug', Nazi, 'shouldn't post on here as you work for the DWP'. It can be upsetting, and make me wonder why I bother to help, but after all being abusive is only conceding, very impolitely, that the other person has a better argument than you do!

As you say, respect is the key thing. 

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    WF2k said:
    @Chobbly I'll try and explain now but I'm pretty pants at explaining.

So the negative things with ESA were that I was awarded ESA at one point just for having a fractured ankle and yet they never took my mental health seriously, and they deemed me fit for work twice pretty much back to back, first time I waited 12 months for the appeal, around 3 months after winning that appeal, they send me another form and again they deemed me fit after the assessment, the second time I waited 18 months for the appeal because they lost my paperwork, I won that appeal also, during this period of time I was trying to feed both myself and my Son, plus pay the bills and such. It ended up making my health worse. They used excuses like, "looked clean", "wasn't rocking in her chair". 

I think you saw my post about PIP? I'll link the main one below as I made two about PIP :)

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/59580/pip-report

Need to act up then, If I knew what I know now I would have happily soiled myself in assessment centre and a change of clothes in car. 
    I never got the opportunity to even get lies written about my issues 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    justdon said:

What i can see so far ,is that if you know how to use the system to your advantage, then you are at a disadvantage .
    Unless you have someone very knowledgeable on your side helping you with the paperwork and educating you about critera ,discriptors and how certain questions will be framed and aimed at you  etc then you are also at a disadvantage .

Thanks so much for your replies, i do feel this is an important issue.

Exactly, previously a recognised Social Worker etc would be Classed as an expert and DWP would accept what they had to say. 

Now in my opinion it is a corrupt game to raise the bar to a level that people either feel the wait and tribunals process harrowing or don't bother to go to a tribunal as mentally they cannot cope. 

According to DWP I was fit for work based on a cancelled appointment with cancellation letter and non compliance with a cancelled appointment--No alternative appointment ever offered.

Further to this recent letter to my partner which DWP know about for years asking questions from 2012-seeing as we get nothing.
    DWP can go forth and multiply 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    I feel like I'm not reading the same thread as a few others in this thread, not once have I seen anyone attack or disrespect others in this thread? I've seen a person say they weren't happy with something but the person certainly wasn't attacking anyone.

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    @justdon - I agree - no-one was asking for advice, nor posting offensive comments, nor treating anyone with disrespect..

If you read my post again I was responding to an earlier post by @chiardes...about being receptive to advice and treating each other with respect  ...

Please re-read it - the context in which it was written is very important..

• [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Chobbly said:
    @WF2k

While i have you here :smiley:...Do you know anything concerning Enhanced premium?

I receive UC single mans over 25 and LCWRA
    PIP is enchanced for both(zero points last sept--work that one out!)

So, im not sure what premium is and whether i receive whatever it is...lol...Hopefully that makes sense..
    Been awake since 3 am...then dropped off at 8am-9.30am and havent felt right since...So typing is at a minimum today!
    Hi,

As you're claiming UC then the premiums don't exist for this unfortunately. The LCWRA on top of the standard allowance for over 25's is  actually more than ESA with the Enhanced disability premium, if worked out correctly as a monthly payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    No sorry I don't @Chobbly I'm currently on ESA still. I'd ask an advice centre or the DWP for information on that. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chobbly i did answer your question a few times.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    @Chobbly it's ok, I feel the same way, it's a load of gibberish to me also lol.

Yeah you'd be better off asking in your own post/thread because this thread was related to another subject so your question would end up being lost.

Chobbly is one of my favourite people on here as of today :) That makes 2 LOL.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    @justdon I do try when I'm not anxious, I love humour and sarcasm, sarcasm is the best lol. 
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.