How do I get a formal diagnosis of dyscalculia? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a formal diagnosis of dyscalculia?

Options
EmmaFowkes94
EmmaFowkes94 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2018 in Education
I'm Emma I'm 24yrs old and found out that I have dyscalculia five years ago but due to the resources at college they could only do screener tests. I was wondering if anybody knows how to get a difinitive diagnosis of dyscalculia as I need one so that reasonable adjustments can be made for a job I want to do. I am on universal credit and only get £251.77 a month so paying for the test will be difficult unless I can somehow offset the cost or alleviate the cost. I have tried going to the job centre and citizens advice. The job centre said their disability coordinator will be in touch with me but that was a week ago. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @EmmaFowkes94 welcome to the community!

My fiancé has dyscalculia, I just asked how he was diagnosed and he said by his GP. Might be worth speaking to your GP :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • EmmaFowkes94
    Options
    Ok will ask when I go next, don't suppose you know if you're fiancé's GB charged. Someone said to go to an educational psychologist and that would probably cost a lot  
  • Ami2301
    Options
    No they didn't charge, let us know what your GP says :)
  • EmmaFowkes94
    Options
    Does it have to be your named GP or can it be any GP at your surgery as my named GP is extremely popular and you have to book weeks in advance if you want a decent appointment or even any. 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I would advise your named GP as they know you best
  • EmmaFowkes94
    Options
    Yeah my named GP has known me since I was four but I'll have to wait about two weeks. I need the difinitive diagnosis in order for reasonable adjustments to be made for the job I'm applying for. The job is for Staffordshire police  police constable degree apprenticeship programme  
  • Ami2301
    Options
    2 weeks will fly by, I wish you every success with your application! :)
  • EmmaFowkes94
    Options
    Not sure how long I've got before staffs police want to do assessments but will ask them. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Naturalparent8
    Naturalparent8 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    If in school senco can ask for a diagnosis it's the same test as dyslexia
  • Sarge1969
    Sarge1969 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Hi. Wow your the first person I’ve know with dyscalculia, a private maths tutor I got for my son thinks he may have it and that was only after one lesson. School were useless, he just got left behind. He’s in college now and hopefully will get support. Dr has referred him to additional needs team so hoping the waiting list isn’t too long. Do you have any hints or tips for coping with it? 
    Take care
    Sharon 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    You might like to have a look at "Heterogeneity of Developmental Dyscalculia: Cases with Different Deficit Profiles" International research is beginning to have an improved understanding of the issues.
  • Sarge1969
    Sarge1969 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Thanks I’ll have a look tomorrow 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sarge1969 said:
    Hi. Wow your the first person I’ve know with dyscalculia, a private maths tutor I got for my son thinks he may have it and that was only after one lesson. School were useless, he just got left behind. He’s in college now and hopefully will get support. Dr has referred him to additional needs team so hoping the waiting list isn’t too long. Do you have any hints or tips for coping with it? 
    Take care
    Sharon 
    This is a list of useful tips

Always have a notebook with you at all times. When working with numbers on a computer, either use a calculator or the copy and paste function. At restaurants and shops, double check all bills carefully or ask another member of the group to handle finances with your permission. If required to do calculations, again use a calculator. 
  • BendyGran
    BendyGran Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    NOTE: I don't have a dyslexia or dyscalculia dx; I'm assuming it's "sub-clinical". Just bad enough to be annoying and I have to double-check things, especially with this permanent floater clouding part of my left eye.

Copy and paste is great!

• * BUT the problem is reading numbers then writing or entering them into a computer/calculator. 
    • * Anything longer than 3 digits -- I might switch a couple numbers.
    • * Anything longer than 5 digits -- I have trouble reading & remembering the numbers, e.g. log-in security codes!
    • * More than 4 zeroes and I have to cover/uncover with a finger while counting.
    In mixed alphanumerics, I'm prone to confusing these: 

(Yeah, those A 4 and 5 6 things sure make my Solitaire app frustrating.) 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @BendyGran
    Scope

Brightness