What am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum

What am I entitled to?

puddin60 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hello everyone came on here to see if anyone can help im working so is my husband but i have COPD rheumatoid arthritis  i have had a mini heart attack i have irregular heart beat im working 33 hours a week in a care home  im thinking of reducing as its getting too much for me someone said i could claim for some benefits even thought my husband works ? 


  • puddin60
    puddin60 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    i forgot to say im 59 tomorrow x

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hi @puddin60, Happy Birthday and welcome to the community!

    Depending on how your conditions affect your daily life, you might be entitled to PIP, you can read more about it here. This isn't means-tested, so it won't be affected by the fact your husband works.
    If you're having difficulty working, owing to health or disability, you could also read about the eligibility criteria for new style ESA. This also isn't means-tested.
    Your only other option would be Universal Credit, but this is means-tested and would be dependent on things such as household income. Universal Credit can be claimed while working, but it depends on your circumstances as it's an income-related benefit, so it's reduced by household earnings.

    I hope that's helped to give you a basic overview, but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,734 Disability Gamechanger

    Happy birthday and welcome. To add to the information Adrian has given for the New Style ESA then if you are having difficulties working then you need to look at claiming SSP from your employer before claiming ESA as this is payable for 28 weeks.

    You can pop your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you if you're entitled to any Universal Credit. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ They are usually quite accurate if the information you put in is correct. Or a visit to your local advice centre maybe useful for a full benefits check if you're unable to use the calculator.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.