Adults with ASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adults with ASD

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
I'm 58 now,  found out I was on the spectrum earlier this year. Saw a school psychologist back in the 70s coz I was disruptive, got into fights, got bullied, didn't fit in with the other kids etc, but IT GOT MISSED! So all these years later, feeling like an alien from another planet, as I'm not 'like other people' I now know the reason. Have had life-long difficulty holding down a job, friendship, anything involving other people really and now in financial difficulty and suffering from depression and anxiety. Is there any help out there for autistic adults?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, this must have been very difficult, I hope getting an answer has helped to put things into perspective.

Unfortunately, receiving a diagnosis of Autism is not uncommon, but there is support out there.

The National Autistic Society have a range of information and a section for adults with Autism.

On their getting a diagnosis as an adult page, they have the following information:
    Also, if you ever are looking for work, you may find Scope employment services helpful.

I'm tagging our Autism adviser @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors who might be able to add something too. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Thanks Chloe, theres a lot to look at there, so thanks for all the info. That's amazing.
    I live alone, no family, no close friends, and have had mixed responses from the people I have told about my autism, ranging from 'you're not autistic, my grandsons autistic and you're nothing like him' to 'are you taking medication for it?'
    The general public still seem unaware that it's a spectrum disorder and no two people will be affected exactly the same.
    I guess I'll get used to it. Finding out I was on the spectrum answered a ton of questions but otherwise hasn't helped much to date.
    I would like a little part time job. I've had 3 over the past couple of years and lost them all, and my entire work record is similar. I need to get some confidence from somewhere.
    Thanks again for all that info to check out.
  • Bettahm
    Hi Sparkle

Can you give me the names if poss of the charities I could approach, that are use to working with autistic people. And I'll  see if they have local branches round here.
    Many Thanks for getting back to me.
  • Bettahm
    Chobbly:
    The Sycamore Centre in Grantham. I've gone through life basically just thinking I was incredibly shy. And bad tempered! Never crossed my mind I was autistic, though in high school they did get a psychologist to check me out. My parents got called up to the school (often!) But this time I got a two week suspension for repeatedly being unruly. So the psychologist missed it. And here I am today 'sigh'.
  • Bettahm
    Frustrating yes because it's an invisible and badly (by the general public) misunderstood disability. Saw someone from the church I used to go to, so she asked how things were, told her about the ASD diagnosis, and she asked if I was taking pills for it!! And I think its widely recognised in children now, not so much in we that slipped through the net all those years ago.  And yes, growing up we learnt to hide it or avoid situations I think.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan, workwise I could suggest going into town and perhaps working in a charity shop. If it's difficult working with customers I am sure they would appreciate help with sorting and carrying things about.

I am not surprised it was missed back then, they often missed simpler things just as much. My eldest daughter was diagnosed as stupid and lazy at school and that was in the late 80's. It was only stubbornness of me and my first wife that wouldn't accept it and investigated further. Turned out she was dyslexic and although she could read chalk on a blackboard they had started using marker pens on a whiteboard and she couldn't distinguish the letters and words. We got her special tutoring and changed her school and she did much better. Although she was never as good academically she now runs a gym for her mother and partner. Even now people don't get diagnosed soon enough or correctly and mistakes are made. Also, with such a secretive and protective society for fear of court cases being brought doctors simply will not admit to such mistakes.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I was told by the GP there isn't any help once you've past education age so no point getting a diagnosis.

I accepted that at first but pushed them again for one recently...the GP put in the referral but the diagnosis service have decided against even accepting the referral unless I can provide them more evidence...I can't, it's not something I ever spoke to the GP about so I guess that's the end of that!

I know there's no help for it even if I do get a diagnosis though.  There's some 'support' if that's helpful for you (it's not for me) but ultimately it's not something that can be 'fixed' so I don't know what sort of help could be offered anyway?  Is there anything in particular you had in mind with regards to help? 
  • Bettahm
    Overly anxious and Topkitten:
    The main area of help is getting - and keeping - a part time job. The diagnostic service have given me a letter to show to prospective employers explaining how ASD affects me, my job coach at UC says dont mention any health issues until they offer the job. I'm also signed off by the doc for almost a year now with depression and anxiety.
    I have done voluntary work in the past, but it didn't work out. I've been unable to hold down a job all my life. I've just signed up with the help you into work service here at Scope, so waiting to hear from them.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I wish you good luck in whatever you choose to do @Franstrahan

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Bettahm
    Thank you TK. It might be move house maybe next spring, get winter out the way. Just a thought that's been on and off of my mind.

Brightness