Remembrance Sunday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remembrance Sunday

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Stealing Tammyjane33's thread to post this! 
I'm guessing we dont have any WW11 vets here,  but maybe sons and daughters with a story to tell about their father, uncle, whatever. And the folks back home, mums or aunts in munitions factories or on fire watch etc.
Any service people on here, or ex-service? Anyone served during the Falklands or other conflict?
Possibly some people on here who were youngsters during the war, and have some memories.
Any family stories from the First World War, or beyond?
Share your thoughts, memories and stories for Remembrance Sunday.
And let us remember those who served, and may we never forget.

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    My father fought in the second world war ( on atlantic convoys) He was in the merchant navy when war broke out and joined the royal navy right at the start of the war . He never spoke about his time in the war but i know he was in the water three seperate times....he was very lucky to survive , his crew members called him " lucky Joe" . My mother worked in Nobels explosives factory during the war. 
    My father refused to wear a poppy ....which is fine,  as he fought and many died so we could have that choice of how we lived . I do not agree with war , but sometimes we have to stand our ground , There have been a few wars since the first world war and many innocent people die in wars and thats what i am against . We never saw many politicians lifting a gun to fight for their country but they wanted others to do so.  Nobody should be compelled to wear a poppy in my humble opinion but if anyone wants to then thats fine by me . If i wore a poppy it would be a white poppy in the hope of a world of peace . I think the unknown soldier should be remembered all the time and not just one day in the year . I,m afraid there is more attention paid to unkown soldiers than their is for know ex soldiers . Many of whom sleep rough . The government ( of any country) should look after the men/ women who fought for their beliefs .
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My uncle served in northern ireland for 7 years, my dads mum worked in munitions during ww2 and continued to work in the same steel works until she retired in the 1970's she had to work full time as my grandad was disabled. I have worn a poppy now for 55 years, they used to come and sell them in junior schools in the 1960's, I think its the least I can do to show my respect.

All gave some, some gave all.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We will go to a special prayer service at church. The vicar will sing and there will be guest storytellers too. And there will be hymns, a short prayer and readings. Additionally the vicar is hoping to lead a discussion about love and respect. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Bought my poppy yesterday....always chokes me up.
    Let`s here it for the heroes! Men, women and dogs and horses.......have I left anyone out? Maybe carrier pigeons too!
  • pollyanna1052
    woodbine said:
    My uncle served in northern ireland for 7 years, my dads mum worked in munitions during ww2 and continued to work in the same steel works until she retired in the 1970's she had to work full time as my grandad was disabled. I have worn a poppy now for 55 years, they used to come and sell them in junior schools in the 1960's, I think its the least I can do to show my respect.

All gave some, some gave all.

I lived in Holywood N> Ireland for 3 years when dad was serving.....60s. It was a great place with great people.
  • Bettahm
    I mentioned on another thread I went down to the Cenotaph for Remembrance a few times when I lived in London. Never got to see much (saw more on TV) but it was the atmosphere and the solemnity of the occasion. May we never forget the two world wars nor all the conflicts that went before and still go on around the world today.

• Bettahm
    Pollyanna:
    I used to take PAT dogs to a retirement home many years ago and remember a lady there whose brother (maybe it was father, long ago now) bought back a war dog, an airdale type. Trying to remember dogs name.....
    Dogs and horses work well for man.
  • Onix
    Onix Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    Lest we forget!!

There are only 2 poppies which I believe should be worn.
    RED - Remembrance of those that were lost.
    PURPLE - Remembrance of all the courageous animals.

The white poppy is purely political and in my eyes has NO place on this day.

Like I say, just my opinion and each to their own.

• Bettahm
    Purple? Must look for the purple one too. Didn't know about them.
    Did I dream it or wasnt some dog not very long ago awarded a dog VC of sorts? 

• Onix
    Onix Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan
    Hi, if you look up Dickens Medal, it tells of the bravery of our courageous animals. X
  • Bettahm
    Onix:
    Thanks for that, I will do.
  • Bettahm
    Onix:
    Looked up Dickens medal. I never had heard of it. It's absolutely brilliant. Horses, dogs, pigeons and one cat have been awarded it.
  • Bettahm
    Animalsinwar.org.uk

I had my red poppy, and now have a purple one too
  • Bettahm
    Anybody going to a Remembrance event tomorrow? Anybody going to the Cenotaph?
  • pollyanna1052
    watching it on tv now...RIP to all who served, sacrificed and helped xxx
  • Bettahm
    And as the years roll on, may we never forget.
  • Bettahm
    I believe we have a 2 minute silence tomorrow at 11 to remember the dead of World War 1. 

Brightness