Keeping warm this winter - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Keeping warm this winter

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,325 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cressida our cats maybe twins? ;) mine weighs 13 pounds :o my daughter can't pick him up. He's siamese and very affectionate too. He's part human, part cat and part dog haha. Our cats should meet sometime ;)

Got to love these cats right? Where would we be without them? We love our boy to bits... i even have to share my bed with him... haha.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    I love cats would be hard to have one where I live now maybe in future. grew up with two they are so beautiful :smile:and lovely to snuggle with.
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya poppy123456,
    I love the way you write about your cat.
    I have a beautiful 12 year old Yorkshire terrier. I absolutely adore him, it’s like he’s got sixth sense when I’m in a lot of pain. 
    I feel it’s says a lot about people when they have affection for animals.
    Thanks for writing about your cat it made me smile ??

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Thank you for contacting me.

I am sorry to hear information over load. Never my intention.  Sorry about that.

I do understand so much out there. I would suggest buy a note book or a pad write down any thing you see on line.

Or if you have a printer run this off.

I do this make notes or keep some of the information as a guide.

Another ideas use a diary to plan and make some aims, goals. Structure to the day. You need to know we are not going any where.

I would take your time. Look at this website.  This something I find I use a lot.

£10 a month would that be too expensive . It is a consumer website and magazine.  Worth it because has consumer advice.

You can read at anytime. Often has links, ideas and suggestions to make those choices simple.

https://www.which.co.uk.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    Hiya poppy123456,
    I love the way you write about your cat.
    I have a beautiful 12 year old Yorkshire terrier. I absolutely adore him, it’s like he’s got sixth sense when I’m in a lot of pain. 
    I feel it’s says a lot about people when they have affection for animals.
    Thanks for writing about your cat it made me smile ??

Hi and good morning,

I'm glad i made you smile. :)  Animals always sense when something is wrong.  We adore our cat and couldn't imagine life without him. I taught him to give kisses and if you ask him for love he will push his head towards your face. It's the cutest thing ever.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Poppy, Gwendoline, Birdsnbees, anyone I've missed:
    Just reading all this beautiful stuff about your cats and dogs. Cheering me up. I'm an animal addict. And my tip for keeping warm this winter is a small Tibetan Terrier under the duvet at bedtime. They're like little hot water bottles only much more cuddly. xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some great advice here guys! Thank you for sharing! I also have hot water bottles that help to keep me warm. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Chloe: Hot Water Bottles.
    Little living furry ones I presume...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Haha, yes @Franstrahan. Cats can make very good hot water bottles too!  :D
    Scope

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    @Cressida our cats maybe twins? ;) mine weighs 13 pounds :o my daughter can't pick him up. He's siamese and very affectionate too. He's part human, part cat and part dog haha. Our cats should meet sometime ;)

Got to love these cats right? Where would we be without them? We love our boy to bits... i even have to share my bed with him... haha.
    @poppy123456 mine went to the vets this week and she wasn't very happy that he had put on even more weight! I like to think it's his winter coat!  I also share my bed with him unless my son manages to nab him and take him in his room first! Lol he's in demand in this cold weather.

I love Siamese cats, my friend had one and one of her stories was about the time he came in one Sunday lunchtime with a whole roast chicken in his mouth! Someone somewhere was missing their Sunday dinner :) 

• Bettahm
    Poppy:
    Your post about Octopus electric. I got a quote from their website and it beats what my lot want, plus I need to get away from them anyway.
    Question is how do I switch? Do I just give Octopus the details and they take care of it?
    Thanks
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Spiceman:
    I need to move to another elec supplier really. But which one, theres so many out there now. Dont want to go out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
    Anybody with a good one, they could recommend? Are we allowed to mention company names here coz I think I did name them in another post......

Hi......according to Which? magazine one company seems to be head and shoulders above the others and that is Octopus Energy.  They've just merged with my current supplier so hopefully they'll be just as good. Good to know that @poppy123456 is impressed with them too.   Best to go online to check out everything on offer.  Try to have your actual annual meter figures to get the most accurate quotes.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Bettahm
    Exdvr:
    I've just posted on here re Octopus in response to Poppys info on them. I've been on their website and they are better then my current lot, so looks like I'm joining you and Poppy at Octopus. Good to have another recommendation. Thanks.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Thank you for your post.  You just tell the company who you wished to join .  

Inform them.  They will contact your previous company and switch.

One point you need to know might have to pay leaving fees with your previous company.

Plus any extra outstanding bill payments.

Just let you know.

Hope anything I suggested is useful.

Please ask any questions .  

Happy to be supportive.

Keep warm and safe.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Spiceman:
    Thank you. It's the leaving fees bit that's ringing alarm bells, as they have been so nasty to me in the past. 
    Maybe if I look on their website it will tell me about that.
    Otherwise it's really simple then!
    Thank you, you are very knowledgable and kind.
  • poppy123456
    Poppy:
    Your post about Octopus electric. I got a quote from their website and it beats what my lot want, plus I need to get away from them anyway.
    Question is how do I switch? Do I just give Octopus the details and they take care of it?
    Thanks
    This doesn't surprise me because they are amazing! Yes, just contact them and tell them you want to switch energy suppliers.
  • poppy123456
    @exdvr i was scared when i switched but several months on i'm amazed. I had heard that which magazine had voted them number one.
  • poppy123456
    @Cressida silly vet, it's the winter coat ;) love the story about the bed sharing,  that made me smile. Haha the chicken was funny too, those poor neighbours without their Sunday dinner.

Thankfully, my cat (Alfie) knows where his night time bed is which i'm glad about because i can't sleep without him. He's 6 now and been sleeping with me since he was very small.

He has thick fur too... not fat at all ;) doesn't like his treats really and dreamies, well that's another story :D Not thinking of the cat advert at all here lol.

They say that cats help those with Autism and i completely agree with this. My daughter has Autism and he helps her so much, makes her happy and she says he's her best friend.

Whether we have dogs or cats our animals are a huge part of the family. What would we do without them?
  • poppy123456
    @Franstrahan yes, they make the best hot water bottles and they never get cold :)
  • Bettahm
    Poppy:
    My hot water bottle is called Amy and she is a smaller than average Tibetan Terrier.

The electric thing. I know I will have to pay off anything owing to old company. Spiceman mentioned there may be a leaving fee. I'll check their website but any idea under what circumstances that would apply? 

Another good thing about our hot water bottles. They dont leak. At least not if they're house trained!

Brightness