Should disabled and ill people go on holiday? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should disabled and ill people go on holiday?

13»

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Topkitten said:
    Hi, as I said earlier, I help run a holiday group for disabled people.
    WE have so many providers, who offer ground floor rooms with easy access, profiling beds, hoists, shower chairs and wet rooms.

There are charities who offer holiday grants and there are subsidised places too.

Very laudable and worthwhile and if only it was easier for us to get from place to place life would be so much better. Unfortunately travel is more aimed at healthy people and is run by and administered by healthy people who simply do not understand the additional needs of the disabled. Travel becomes a matter of looking pathetic and hoping someone nearby will come to the rescue.

Well done you though!

TK

It`s a shame you don't know just how much help is out there. I found it.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Topkitten said:
    Hi, as I said earlier, I help run a holiday group for disabled people.
    WE have so many providers, who offer ground floor rooms with easy access, profiling beds, hoists, shower chairs and wet rooms.

There are charities who offer holiday grants and there are subsidised places too.

Very laudable and worthwhile and if only it was easier for us to get from place to place life would be so much better. Unfortunately travel is more aimed at healthy people and is run by and administered by healthy people who simply do not understand the additional needs of the disabled. Travel becomes a matter of looking pathetic and hoping someone nearby will come to the rescue.

Well done you though!

TK

It`s a shame you don't know just how much help is out there. I found it.

Very true @Topkitten.....the main problem I have is with the travelling involved. Public transport of virtually all types is difficult at its very best.  And that's when I'm having one of my better days.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness