Hi I'm new - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm new

Comments

• Empowerment1981
    Empowerment1981 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hi The Spiderman

Yes thank you for the links .  Unfortunately I don't think they based in my area.  I live in Bath. 

Best wishes 
    Empowerment1981
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Empowerment1981   Thank you just some information out there. Thought it might help.

I have and do live on my own have illness and disability. I know myself need to find support and some help.

You are entitled to good mental health or care. If it is not working then you need to say so.

No one more than my self knows than about bad services.

To give you reassurance and confidence we as a community are here to be supportive and are friendly.

I know it is difficult every day.

I have no car struggle to get out have and use this forum daily.  On line for every thing shopping, meds, banking. Have a wealth of knowledge, expertise from my own life experiences.

Had mental health now ongoing thirty years been an alcoholic now clean for twelve years so had to use the above links.

Plus anything else to help with addiction.

I mentioned did help got educated, knowledge and lots more doors opened to looking at wellbeing and health.

Got qualifications around my interest in wellbeing and health. Once you know how to cope and deal with your self. Can be beneficial.

You can cope with your conditions or problems. I found being positive and thinking what I need.

Just thought explain my situation you are not alone. I

Found this as well.

https://www.carenearme.co.uk.

Also one other point if these links are not available in your area then look on line for support.  Make a note of what is in your area. I do this and continue to do so.

Speak to your GP as well if not happy. I use advocates if not happy have done before. Does work.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Empowerment1981, how are you today?  Glad you are enjoying Netflix.  Sounds great!  My supper was nice, thank you.  Hope your day has been good.  Glad to see my friend, @thespiceman, has been in touch with you too to give you some very good info.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Empowerment1981
    Hi Ails.

I'm ok bit fed up with landlord.  Explained the 1 radiator in the lounge only stays on for 1 hr and I have fibromyalgia and caught a cold and important I stay warm.  Luckily there are 2 radiators in the lounge 
     They said if they arrange for an enigeer and they can't detect a fault I have to pay the 60 pounds call out fee.  
    Hope your day has being okay?  

• Ails
    Hi @Empowerment1981, I can understand you being fed up at your landlord.  That's not good if you only have the one radiator working as you do need it for your health.  Yes, our landlord is the same if we report something and an engineer comes up and finds nothing wrong then we get charged too.  It does seem a bit unfair, but I assume that most landlords are the same.  I hope you get it fixed and manage to stay warm.  Not great to hear you caught a cold.  

My day has been ok, thanks.  Been out for most of the day at the opticians and local shops.  A bit chilly out.  I hope your day has been ok too.  :smile:
  • Empowerment1981
    Have u had to pay for a lot of call out charges?  Rented for 7 yrs now don't seem to any ethical landlords anywhere.  Is your land lord decent? I really want to rent a national trust properties they look well looked after.   Fed up with not able to have a dog.

It's certainly getting into winter now dark early.  Glad u had a nice day.  
  • Ails
    Yes, had to pay a couple of times for a kitchen light and one of our radiators that ended up working ok.  Yes, think many landlords are the same.  Sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience of landlords.  Our landlord is ok as they get things done quite quickly.  I've not heard of national trust properties myself, but they sound nice.  That's a shame you can't have a dog.  Is that because the landlord doesn't allow pets?  Have you had dogs in the past?  We have a cat.  Yes, winter is just around the corner and very dark early.  Thanks, hope your day has been good.  :smile:
  • Empowerment1981
    I'm sorry u had to incur costs were they expensive? I guess it's about money isn't it no compassion or kindness.

The landlord won't allow pets think having a dog would be really healing for me.

What's your cat called?  

My day being ok watching corrie now ?
  • Ails
    I think it was around £60 all in, it was a couple of years ago.  I hope you get your radiator fixed.  Yes, it is about money, I agree.  I think it is just a business to them and landlords sometimes forget about tenants needs.  That's a shame you aren't allowed to keep a pet as pets are great and really therapeutic.  My cat's name is Christy.  She is 6 and a rescue cat.  She is my fur baby, lol!  Glad your day is ok and hope you enjoyed Corrie.  I recorded it tonight.  Do you like any other soaps?  :smiley:
  • Empowerment1981
    There does seem to be a lack of care and focus on profit.  Yeah think I'll just have to have them out. 

Christy sounds lovely  .

A dog would make a massive difference to my life .

Not really I used to watch holby city but got no tv aerial here so just watch stuff on the laptop.

Emailed the practice manager about home visits as I expressed I was only getting 2 min phone call once a month to get meds from gp and felt I was slipping through the net.  She said they don't do home visits unless there is a clinical reason.
  • Ails
    Yes, probably best to get the engineer out.  I hope it goes well.  Thank you, yes she is a nice wee cat, but I am biased, lol!  She is very gentle and knows when I am in pain and comes and lies on my lap to make me feel better.  Yes, having a dog would probably help you and I hope you manage to get one in the future.  A pet is great company too and great for our well-being.  

I used to watch Holby City too, but got bored with it.  I enjoy Casualty, but not a fan of the other soaps.  That's good you watch programmes on your laptop, keeps you going.  

That's good you emailed the practice manager, but that is a shame they don't do home visits.  It seems unfair that they are unwilling to visit when they know you are housebound just now.  Did you manage to find the discussions on Social Prescribing?  I saw that the @thespiceman gave you some good links to look into too.  I hope the info helps.  :smile:

• Empowerment1981
    She sounds very healing and a real comfort to u in times of need. Do u manage the gp ok?

I feel it is unfair I bet to do with money again.

I did look but couldn't find anything on it not sure I was looking in the right place.

Yes  thespiceman links were interesting to read about different services 
  • Ails
    Yes, she is great thanks and gives me a lot of joy.  I usually can manage to the GP either on my mobility scooter or my husband takes me sometimes, but I usually like to go under my own steam as it is literally just around the corner from where we live so is very handy.  I have at times, requested the GP to do a home visit when I have been in real pain and they have been resistant at first, but after pressing them for it they have come out.  It is probably to do with money and budget constraints, but it is very unfair and you do probably need it.  

Here is one of the links to Social Prescribing if you are interested,

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/65029/social-prescribing-what-it-is-and-how-it-might-help#latest

Glad you found the links @thespiceman sent you to be interesting.  He is a really helpful and caring Community Champion.  :smile:

• Empowerment1981
    I'm glad u have being able to access gp home visits at a push.  
    Definitely a money issue all services are.

Thanks for the link I'll take a look.  

• Ails
    Thanks, yes money issues everywhere.  You are welcome.  I hope you find it helpful.  :smile:
  • Empowerment1981
    Always good to connect to understanding kind people. 
  • Ails
    Yes, it does wonders just talking to people who know what you are going through and who can offer support.  I have been a member on here for over a year now and it has helped me so much just chatting to lovely folk and making some wonderful friends.  I'm sure you will too.  :smile:
  • Empowerment1981
    So difficult even the best intentioned people don't really understand.  So good to connect to people who understand.   Lovely chatting
  • Ails
    Yes, I agree.  People can be kind and have good intentions, but unless you are in that position yourself then you can only understand and appreciate how the other person is feeling.  That is what is great about this Community, we all have our disabilities/health issues and so can support each other and know what everyone is going through.  Yes, it is lovely chatting and meeting you.  :smile:
  • Empowerment1981
    Sometimes find it difficult to relate to people who are healthy and working.  Like I don't understand their world and they don't understand mine.  Before my advocate had to stop supporting me cause of funding cuts.  She misheard me and said 3 days gosh that's a long time to be stuck in. I said no 3 wks. She just looked shocked as though it was so abnormal.  Yet that's my life.

Brightness