Daughter with aspergers and may have PDA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter with aspergers and may have PDA

jayne50
jayne50 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited December 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I'm struggling and have been for a long time I have health issues myself ,but my main person is my daughter shes 17 got diagnosed at 15 with aspergers , in the past year shes took 2 over doses and self harmed twice the most recent was self harming last sunday ,she cut through her groin and had to be stitched ?. I have a friend who works for sendiass who says shes almost shore my daughter has PDA .I'm so lost I dont know how to help her she also struggles with structure and commitment, she s never been able to cope with education but is so clever and artistic ,shes been in 6 schools a mental health school and 4 colleges & had a job she couldnt cope I'm so worried for her future .?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    A very warm welcome to the community @jayne50. It's lovely to meet you.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. It sounds like you and your daughter are going through a very difficult time at the moment. Can I ask what sort of support you are both getting? Does your daughter see anybody for mental health support and are you getting any assistance with her care? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jayne50
    Hi adrian yes my daughter is attending camhs but she struggles to engage theyve just put her onto.a new councillor hopefully my daughter will attend and engage , she also sees a psychiatrist once a month.  I see a councillor every Thursday to offload that helps to get everything out but I am really struggling . 
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @jayne50

Hello and welcome.

So very sorry to hear what you and your daughter are going through. 
    I'm glad you have a counsellor, hopefully that is some help to you. 

I have a son (24) with autism and daughter (27) with borderline personality disorder so I can fully empathise and understand your concerns. 

The self harming is so very upsetting isn't it and you just feel helpless?

Hopefully your daughter will get on with her new counsellor at camhs and things will improve. 

Try to keep posting on this forum because you can get a lot of advice, support and understanding. 

Sending you strength, you and your daughter will get through this  <3

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to Scope @paffuto10

Good luck! Have you requested a needs assessment or not through your local council? It is done by a social worker working with the council. Make sure to obtain a copy of the report afterwards as well. 
  • jayne50
    No I've not requested a needs assessment whats that .thank you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jayne50. I'm so sorry to hear how much your daughter is struggling. A needs assessment can be done for a disabled person or a carer and can ensure the right support is put in place. You can refer yourself online here, and it explains a bit more about it.
    Scope

• jayne50
    Hello I live in south sefton I wondered if anyone knows were I can get my daughter assessed for PDA pathological demand avoidance ,we went to a cahms meeting and liverpool.and sefton dont acknowledge it ??
  • jayne50
    edited November 2019
    Hello I live in south sefton I wondered if anyone knows were I can get my daughter assessed for PDA pathological demand avoidance ,we went to a cahms meeting and liverpool.and sefton dont acknowledge it ??
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @jayne50

I wonder if your GP would refer your daughter for PDA assessment? 

Might be worth a try. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jayne50, how are you getting on?

I'm tagging @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors to see if they can offer anymore guidance. :)
    Scope

Brightness