Lies that get told by health care proffessional at assessment that are beleived - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lies that get told by health care proffessional at assessment that are beleived

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dolfrog   There are courses on line to use for benefit training.

I have done some of them and very good. Useful to do and know.

Often to those wish to be come a benefit advisor but they do take on claimants wishing to boost their knowledge.

I was one such course run by a training company connected with my JSA at the time.

The room was full of members of our Community. Mainly Learning difficulties and those with reading, writing problems. Other disabilities.

Very informative, staff trained in dealing with our Community.

Please have a look on line. May I add speak to CAB, they also do courses as well .  Form filling in and much more.

Hope that helps.

Learnt a lot.

One other information always get help with benefit and forms whether you can do them or not.

I have been on benefits a long time never once filled in a form always got Team my support or CAB or health professionals.

I consider myself a smart gent but even I get confused all the time.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dolfrog Sadly, I don't feel there would be time for the people that offer their help here to ever completely understand everyone's disabilities. They are just doing the best that they can, & I don't think we, as a community, can ask for anything more.
    May I instead make a suggestion. Perhaps you could list the words, & that's all they are, not really what I personally would call 'terminology,' that you're struggling to understand, so that you may be better helped, thank you.
  • dolfrog
    Hello @dolfrog   There are courses on line to use for benefit training.

I have done some of them and very good. Useful to do and know.

Often to those wish to be come a benefit advisor but they do take on claimants wishing to boost their knowledge.

I was one such course run by a training company connected with my JSA at the time.

The room was full of members of our Community. Mainly Learning difficulties and those with reading, writing problems. Other disabilities.

Very informative, staff trained in dealing with our Community.

Please have a look on line. May I add speak to CAB, they also do courses as well .  Form filling in and much more.

Hope that helps.

Learnt a lot.

One other information always get help with benefit and forms whether you can do them or not.

I have been on benefits a long time never once filled in a form always got Team my support or CAB or health professionals.

I consider myself a smart gent but even I get confused all the time.

@thespiceman

I have a disability that is hardly explained properly by the so called UK medical professionals (audiologists, speech and language, psychologists) who who should be trained and qualified to explain fail to want know about my sound processing disability and the related problems it can cause. Some of the reasons are inter medical profession politics and medical career marketing.
    One of the symptoms of my auditory processing disorder is developmental dyslexia (dyslexia is a shared symptom of auditory processing , visual processing and attention disorders).
    I was the first adult in the UK to be clinically diagnosed as having auditory processing disorder 2003, to help the medical research council get government funding for a  5 year auditory processing disorder research program. The needed some one to create and run a UK auditory processing disorder support organisation. APDUK was set up 2002-2003 and the medical research council got their funding in 2004.
    Unfortunately I seem to still know more about my disability than the so called medical professionals who should be clinically diagnosing  it and providing the life long support as their is no cure.(audiologists, speech and language, psychologists)
    This makes explaining my disability to others even more difficult, as sue to my own language issues I use international research papers to explain my disability, which for me is easier, but not for most others.
    this makes explaining my disability and the day to day problems it poses even more difficult to those who have no idea of the nature of my disability but claim to be qualified to make decisions regarding support and benefits.
    It feels like I am always surrounded by professional idiots.

Thank you for trying to understand

• dolfrog
    edited November 2019
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @dolfrog Sadly, I don't feel there would be time for the people that offer their help here to ever completely understand everyone's disabilities. They are just doing the best that they can, & I don't think we, as a community, can ask for anything more.
    May I instead make a suggestion. Perhaps you could list the words, & that's all they are, not really what I personally would call 'terminology,' that you're struggling to understand, so that you may be better helped, thank you.
    Unfortunately it is not just about understanding words, i wish it was.
    I have word recall problems when talking to others or when writing and or typing.
    And it can take days, weeks, even months sometimes to remember the word again. 
    Which means I need to have understanding of the big picture so that i am able to explain a single topic in multiple ways, so that i can work around my communication limitations. 

And each time i start to learn about a new topic i may need to completely change my language coping strategies to both help me understand the topic, and enable me to explain the topic so that others are best able to understand what i am saying.
    This can be very complex, time consuming , and exhausting.
    And I am not always aware of the problems i may experience regarding a specific topic until it is too late and I have failed to explain a topic in the way I need to so that others understand what i am trying to describe and explain. 
    I also have problems processing what i hear and I can easily miss understand what others have said or the meaning of the questions they have asked.

• chiarieds
    edited November 2019

@dolfrog

Thank you, that does explain more about the complicated problems you have.

In my opinion, the more anyone with difficulties explains, the more we can learn, which I hope means we can try and help, and understand each other better.

Please know, here of all places, no-one is discriminating against you, nor intentionally excluding you by using words that are difficult for you, as we did not know. Those who have offered you their help do so from their personal experiences, or from the knowledge they have gained, hoping to help others. It seems to me that people in this community often share some common problems, rather than have any diffferences.

I will write more later, if I can.

• dolfrog
    chiarieds said:

@dolfrog

Thank you, that does explain more about the complicated problems you have.

In my opinion, the more anyone with difficulties explains, the more we can learn, which I hope means we can try and help, and understand each other better.

Please know, here of all places, no-one is discriminating against you, nor intentionally excluding you by using words that are difficult for you, as we did not know. Those who have offered you their help do so from their personal experiences, or from the knowledge they have gained, hoping to help others. It seems to me that people in this community often share some common problems, rather than have any diffferences.

I will write more later, if I can.

@Adrian_Scope

If the UK medical professionals , audiologists, speech and language, and psychologists, were adequately train ed and qualified regarding the 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder, and were able to explain these complex issues in lay mans terms , as they should, I would not have to go into too much deatila as the to the complex nature of  my life long disability, which I sahre with all of my family, 3 sons, and my wife, and 60% of those identified  as having the dyslexia symptom. 
    So the problem is the failure of these so called medical professionals to be adequately trained and qualifed and failing to keep up to date with international research of the last few decades. This appears to include those who are Scope advisers on auditory and speech and language issues. 
    As I said before after helping the UK medical research council regarding a 5 year auditory processing disorder research program, I am still surrounded by professional idiots, who have no idea as to what auditory processing disorder is and completely failing to explain to others the day to day nature of my disability. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @dolfrog, I was just about to write to you again. May I first say that anyone who has spoken to you from the Scope team, & other people here, have no advisors on auditory, speech and language problems. They are just people who do their best to understand and offer help and guidance. Some are people who volunteer trying to help as, and when they can.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @dolfrog - What I was going to ask next: Are you, or any of your family, needing to apply for a Benefit? If any of you are, which one is it?
  • dolfrog
    edited November 2019
    Hi @chiarieds

Probably me not explaining things too well.

My point was that if the so called experts were to explain in detail the nature of my disability, then others would have a  better understanding of the problems that I and many others can experience on a day to day basis especially relating to how we may have some problems with both verbal and written/typed communication.

I did help run the support organisation for over 10 years to help those who share my disability, the problem now is that I now need help from others which means that they may need to learn about the nature of my disability, which may not be easy. .  
  • chiarieds
    Hi @dolfrog - Do not worry, I am a very patient person and just trying to find out what help you might need. So, what sort of help do you need from others?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @dolfrog do you need help with ESA? I'm just wondering because that's where you're posting your comments. If you do need help with this benefit then i'm sure someone will advise you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dolfrog
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @dolfrog - Do not worry, I am a very patient person and just trying to find out what help you might need. So, what sort of help do you need from others?
    This may sound daft, but first i need some understanding that my disability exists, and is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia. 

I need all 3 UK Audiology professional bodies to have a full understanding of 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder, and for the so called multi disciple support team medical professionals - Psychologists, and Speech and :Language - to understand the complexities of auditory processing disorders so that they are able to provide the life long support required.

This will help educate those who work for government agencies such as the DWP with regard to providing benefits and the support may require. It may also help overcome the lack of support from UK employers to provide the various types of accommodations many require in the work place.

As I have mentioned before i currently feel surrounded by professional idiots only interested in hiding their ignorance, and marketing their egos.
  • dolfrog
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @dolfrog - What I was going to ask next: Are you, or any of your family, needing to apply for a Benefit? If any of you are, which one is it? 
    Some years back I won a tribunal to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) on a life long basis as I have a life long disability.

The problem is the corrupt government need to reduce the amount of benefits they payout, and the bogus change from DLA to PIP.
    Those who currently assess the new system have no idea regarding the nature of my complex disability, and our current experience from the DWP has been pure disability discrimination. 

Unfortunately it seems that Scope do not like to expose the corrupt nature of the DWP.
  • dolfrog
    edited November 2019
    @dolfrog do you need help with ESA? I'm just wondering because that's where you're posting your comments. If you do need help with this benefit then i'm sure someone will advise you further.
    Thank you for you reply
    I have already won my tribunal regarding ESA
    The local Job Centre  Work Coach told me that should be claiming ESA rather than Job Seekers Allowance, after 10 years of applying for jobs and getting no interviews, as employers do not want to make the accommodations i may require as I can only do things my way due the nature of my disability.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    dolfrog said:

Those who currently assess the new system have no idea regarding the nature of my complex disability, and our current experience from the DWP has been pure disability discrimination. 

Unfortunately it seems that Scope do not like to expose the corrupt nature of the DWP.
    It's the claimants responsibility to give as much detail about how their conditions affect them and their responsibility to prove they qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog said:

It's the claimants responsibility to give as much detail about how their conditions affect them and their responsibility to prove they qualify.
    Unfortunately some assessors and decision makers do not want to listen.
  • chiarieds
    I'm unsure where to post this, but as many comments about auditory processing disorder have been mentioned on this thread, I'll mention it here. @Adrian_Scope the following resource may help others, as it explains in layman's terms about this disorder, as well as providing links to some research, etc: https://apdsupportuk.yolasite.com/ Perhaps this may help @Ami2301 too. There does actually appear to be some considerable knowledge about this disorder widely available on the internet, including an NHS link: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/auditory-processing-disorder/
    @dolfrog - I'm very pleased to read you have received the benefits you need. My apologies for misunderstanding. I thought you needed help with some benefits.
    Sadly most people here know more about their disorder than their doctors, as they are the ones experiencing the problems they face, so you are not alone.
    Perhaps the first website I mention may help you.....it does emphasize that everyone is unique in the problems they face, as is true with most disorders.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone for sharing their thoughts and concerns here. The online forum is for people to discuss the things that are bothering them, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, the forum must remain safe and suitable for all ages.

Scope do not agree with the benefit system and do work to make society a more equal place in general. Unfortunately, these changes are not in your face and many will go undetected to the general public.

Scope are on your side and do not believe it to be a fair system, we hope that one day this will change. As a  charity we are not political about this and do see comments on the forum as an opinion of the member rather than a view of Scope.

I hope this all makes sense. :)
    Scope

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.