Hi, my name is reidcarola! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is reidcarola!

Options
reidcarola
reidcarola Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi there thank you for letting me join, I'm not sure I fit into this group, i am 42 years old with 4 chronic health conditions and dyslexia, due to my health I have had to give up my job as a health care assistant in Feb 2019, due to lack of finances because of non payment of benefits ive had to do a charity fundraising telephone job from home, I still have to take time off due to chronic thyroiditis, a few years ago I was stripped of disabled persons tax credits and my husband was stripped of his pip as he also has a long term health problem, for the last 3 years and this year in particular it's been extremely difficult to manage, we have a power card machine which eats up money like its growing on trees we have mortgage arrears, alot of stress which doesnt help our conditions and no support, I'm constantly having to ask my mum for money which we cant always afford to pay bk and she has been recently widowed so you can imagine how that makes me feel. We have no social life, because we are always trying to work to make ends meet, due to my illness I have flare ups which means I can be off for weeks until medication changes take effect I dont get ssp or contractual sick pay because we work from home, we have had to ask for crisis Grant's which we have been told we have been entitled to but haven't been paid out.  I am at the end of my line with the feelings of frustration, hurt and anger I feel as noone seems to be able to help in regards to the benefits agency, we are doin what we can to support ourselves but it just isnt enough, sorry for the long saga but I'm looking for support hope and direction as I've never felt so alone and desperate in my life as what I have this year.
Carol 

Comments

• reefalee
    reefalee Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this my mum was in a very similar position and was forced to retire from work due to her epilesy getting worser. Her husband worked full.time so she was not entitled to any benefits just pip. And it was a very long road for her shes been on pip for nearly 6 years now everytime she has to renew they cut it down to low and it ends up in court but she has won the both times. Maybe get your self an appointment at your local ciziten advice they are very good and always willing to help and can shed some light on what they can do to help u. Good luck and please continue to hold it together much love 
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Options

Hello @reidcarola    :

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community.

Thank you for reaching out to us, and thank you for sharing your story,  I am sorry to hear the position you are in. perhaps your husband or yourself could look into re applying for PIP I thin it might be beneficial for you to contact your Citizen Advice Bureau, I think the links below may help you

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/practical-emotional-advice-when-in-debt/

We are always here to lend support, help, and advise where we can,

If we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us

@connie00   :) 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @reidcarola and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm very sorry to hear of your financial struggles and can appreciate how difficult it is for you and your husband.  You have been given very good advice above and we are all here to support you on the Community.  So please chat to us if you need to as everyone is lovely on here.  I hope you get things sorted out and please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @reidcarola, it sounds like you've had an incredibly difficult time in recent years. Is there anything you need advice with? Our members are very knowledgeable and will be more than happy to help.

Have you or your husband considered try to go back onto PIP?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • reidcarola
    reidcarola Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your support and keeping in touch.  To answer some of your questions, my husband is going to reapply for pip. Also, like another member with him working full time he's not entitled to other benefits either. We have been in touch with step change re, our situation here bit I would just like to clarify that we aren't in debt this is shortness of finances due to reasons of my health having to give up my job and also the fact that our tax credits and my husbands pip were removed a few years ago when universal credit came in which since hasn't been received properly either because the system excuse my French is so **** and unreliable. Its just the complete task of trying to have enough money to pay bills the mortgage heat the house and feed ourselves we don't even have a car loan. We haven't tried the citizens advice tbh in this area we haven't found them very helpful.  It is very frustrating and you feel you've been stripped of your dignity by the people thst are being paid to help you when they can't be even bothered to do their job.  I'm so grateful for your reply at least it makes me feel like someone actually notices as I certainly feel failed atm by this country terrible you try your best to be an upstanding citizen and do all the right things I've worked within the care sector since I was 15 years old albeit part time and I've given 20 years of my own time to working for various charities throughout my life as has my husband you hit hard times through no fault of your own and you can't even really on your own country to help and support you, I've never seen this country so broken it makes me so sad and angry. Xxx I hope you are well ❤️❤️
    Carol 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing with us, @reidcarola.  Yes, things do seem really unfair at times when you work all your days.  My husband and I have used Step Change in the past and found them helpful, so glad you are in touch with them too.  I hope things improve for you both soon and please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  I know things can't be easy at the moment for you, but I'm sure this is just a temporary thing.  You are doing your best to help yourselves so that is great.  Please chat to us anytime and let us know if you need any help/support.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness