Pip waiting times. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip waiting times.

Options
elliebelle_52
elliebelle_52 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi there, I'm 25years old and applying for PIP. I had a letter to say they received my forms on the 18th June and that i would most likely have an face to face assessment within 8 weeks, its now been 9 weeks, so i called them again today and and got the same answer as i did about 3 weeks ago saying that they are waiting for a health professional to become available in my area for a home visit. Which i need because i cant drive at the moment. I live in the south west and just wondering if anyone else has had problems getting their home visit?? The hole process is meant to be 12-14 weeks and it looks like mine will take much longer. In at a bit of a loss of what to do, do i just sit and wait? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Timescales given are purely just a guide and nothing more. There really is no timescales because times vary depending on backlog in your area. New claims for PIP can take as long as several months, if you add on the time a decision can take after the assessment has taken place.

If you've requested a home assessment then if there's not enough evidence to prove the reasons why you need this then you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you. I'm not sure whether not being able to drive will be a good enough reason.

I know the wait is very stressful having been through it all myself multiple times but unfortunately, there's nothing more you can do but wait. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That fact that you do not or can’t drive to the assessment center is as poppy12345. Said no excuse, you can have a taxi from door to-door for your assessmen,tpay the fare and it is claimed back from the assessment company . I used this method for both of my PIP assessments and had the fares refunded in three weeks of each assessment.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @elliebelle_52 I live in the south west and my claim took just over 5 weeks from f2f. I received a f2f appointment very soon after I sent my forms but I was able to travel to the assessment centre. It might help your stress levels if you could get a taxi pre-authorised or someone to take you to an assessment. From what I have read on here I believe that might be possible? It would probably cut down your waiting time. My claim seemed to take forever but when I read the stories on this site I can see it was actually pretty quick compared to others. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @elliebelle_52 and a warm welcome to the community! Like Poppy has said, these are unfortunately a guideline and it can take much long, especially if having a home visit. At this stage, there is nothing more that you can do. I appreciate how frustrating that is!

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help in the meantime. :)

Scope

• elliebelle_52
    elliebelle_52 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou poppy12345, this is all new to me as I've never been in this situation before. Ive had a-lot of help with filling out the pip forms because i cannot read or write very well. this is the first time that i have given it ago at calling them myself usually they speak to my partner.
    I think it was my GP that had put me forward for A home assessment in the first place
    . I had major brain surgery this year and have been left with multiple neuro issues that make it very difficult to be out and about in busy places. Looks like its just a long wait!, thanks anyway
  • kazambo
    kazambo Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    I waited 10 weeks had my f2f assessment today. Was told it would b at least 6werks because they are very behind. I'm in South West
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kazambo said:
    I waited 10 weeks had my f2f assessment today. Was told it would b at least 6werks because they are very behind. I'm in South West
    Hi,
    They tell everyone 6 weeks for a decision but the assessment providers really have no idea how long the backlogs are in any area. There's no timescales for any decision and it can be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer.

Wait a week after the assessment and ring DWP for a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kazambo
    Options
  • kazambo
    Options
    Had my f2f 18 Sept and still waiting for a decision.  It's taking forever
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @kazambo, this must be annoying! Did you ring up to get a copy of the report?
    Scope

• kazambo
    Options
    Hi yes I have a copy. I've just rang again as not heard anything theres a delay on mine.... would anyone have any idea on why you get a delay. Had my f2f in Sept... 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed and there's no timescales for any decision.

Have you compared the dots in the report to the PIP descriptors? This will give you some idea what the decisions is likely to be because it's rare they go against the report.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I hope the report gives you an indication of the award you are to expect @kazambo. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.