Gathering advice for PIP appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gathering advice for PIP appeal

Samsung7722
Samsung7722 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i am trying to gather evidence for my appeal for pip. I contacted my GP to ask for a letter explaining how my disability affects me  and treatment i am receiving as the pip assessor ignored my medical history notes The  advice from my GP was to contact the citizens advice to get descriptor of   want DWP are looking for and come back to him in order for him to write the letter to the tune of 25 to 100 quid depending on how mush work he has to do. I contacted citizens advice but the person who i spoke to had no clue what i was talking about an said she dose not understand why my GP advised me to contact them. On all the website I have been on today they all say contact citizens advice but they were not helpful can anyone offer advice please 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Samsung7722 - Welcome to the community. Unless your problems are those your GP can see, e.g. if your mobility is affected & you may use an aid, or as in my case where I've got a problems with my right hand & collarbone that he could see & describe, your GP may not be able to help further as far as the descriptors go. He wouldn't know if you have difficulty dressing/undressing, bathing, eating, etc.
    Here is a link showing the descriptors, which you can probably best work out where you should get points yourself: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    If you see any consultants or therapists that have had any input & may be able to show in part how your disability affects you, then you might ask them for a report to help you also.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A letter from a GP isn't the best evidence to send because a GP will very rarely know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, unless you tell them what to write and then it could be classed as patient lead.

My advice is to request your medical records and once you receive them, take a look through to see if there's anything you can use that's relevant to how your conditions affect you.

You can also write your submission stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple or real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Samsung7722 - I think your GP offered quite good advice, although you can look on line to get the PIP activities & descriptors without going to CAB. Completing benefit claim reports isn't a GPs job - which is why they will charge extra if they do it at all.

Could you not explain how you disability affects you and give examples yourself. I think these would be at least as valuable as what your doctor would say - and cheaper...

• Samsung7722
    Thanks guys I will have a look at the link and write the submission statement, I did send my medical history to them going back to 2008 they chose to ignore them, I have a statement from the Rheumatoid nurse and I am trying to get one from pain management team but so far have not been successful on the one. thanks for the advice most appreciated
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    @samsung7722 - read through the medical stuff and check that it relates to the different activities. If not - i.e. it says Mr Samsung has an arthritic shoulder but doesn't mention the impact this has - then I'd be inclined to leave it out and keep everything concise...

• Samsung7722
    its not the form Im  asking the GP to complete its just a letter as evidence for my appeal  but I have taken advice on board thanks for taking the time to advise 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If you sent all your medical files from 2008 then that must be an awful lot of medical evidence and i'm not surprised they didn't read it. That's so much to read through and a lot of it probably wasn't relevant. Personally, i would have gone through all of the before deciding what was best to send.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Samsung7722! I hope the above advice has been helpful, but please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.