Ways to distract yourself when in physical pain? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ways to distract yourself when in physical pain?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I have a heat patch and hot water bottle and have had pain relief but still struggling ?

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    I have a heat patch and hot water bottle and have had pain relief but still struggling ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Tammyjane33, I'm sorry you're struggling today. 
    My go-to is usually a long hot bath but it's usually a short-lived relief. 

Do you have anything to distract yourself with? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about pain relief @Tammyjane33

I also find that puzzle books helped. 
  • Tammyjane33
    Thankyou everyone ♥️
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Tammyjane33   My friend sorry to hear this.  I wish could more to help those in distress.

Understand one thing any pain is such a problem and is difficult to deal with .

I have muscle pain like a hum or an ache in the legs and arms, some days get a lot of it other days trying to cope and it does help by using meditation.

Many techniques on line and on videos .

I just close my eyes think I am on a warm beach the sun shining down, let your arms relaxed and then go through the body bit by bit.

Works best on a bed lie down put some soft music on.

AMAZON saw this other day has Mindfulness CD's of Classical music.

I use that a lot. Have around late night relaxing music on.

I have muscle soaks in the bath does relief a bit.

Please can I ask have you ever considering looking at Chinese Medicine. Acupuncture.?

Some say it works .

You could refer to your GP. See if there is any on who they can refer you to.

I hope that has helped anything I suggest might be useful.

Please take care wish you well.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tammyjane33 i'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I can definitely relate to the severe pain issues as i experience this every day.

I see that pain relief doesn't help, it doesn't for me either. I must admit when my pain is at it's worst then nothing distracts me, my legs are the most affected but wide spread pain over most of my body. From about 4pm is my worst time and as the evening progresses the pain gets worse and i take morphine too but it's not as effective as it used to be as i've been taking it for 5 years.

The best pain relief for me is heat and hot baths help me the most, the hotter the better. If i'm unable to get into the bath then sat in the shower with the head lowered over my legs helps too. I also find that a very gentle leg rub gives relief, providing it's not too much pressure.

I hope some of the ideas help give you a little relief, even if it's for a little while!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about a pain management course @Tammyjane33?

You will have a opportunity to discuss your pain in a safe non judgemental environment and learn new skills plus make some new friends too. I went on one five years ago and I loved it. It was a lovely chance to try another way to control my leg pain and alter my mindset as well. The link is posted below   http://www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/long-term-conditions/chronic-pain/nhs-pain-management-programmes
    I benefited so much from the sessions. I learnt how to distract myself when the pain was really bad additionally. The goal is to enable you to control your pain and stop it from taking over your life completely. Try finding one in your area for adults and go attend for a while to get a feel for it. Take summary notes and be prepared for information overload. Bring a notebook and a pen.
    You can also ask them questions and share your story. Sessions include exercises, and discussion. For more information on pain control programmes in Britain, please visit this page. 
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-get-nhs-help-for-your-pain/.
    Or ask around. This is a alternative treatment option which is worth trying. Ask your consultant for more details. See if you can find one in your area. Good luck! Another handy tip, invest in a small portable folder to keep stuff in. I sincerely hope that this is useful to you. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me on here and I’ll try to answer.
    As part of the sessions goals will be discussed and then agreed upon. I certainly recommend it. Contact your local hospital to find out if they run such a programme or not. Make the most of it, it is a useful opportunity. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Tammyjane33, how are you doing today? Sorry you've been in pain. My go to's are also hot water bottles, blankets are always good and cosy!
    Scope

Brightness