ESA Renewed - Can I get report? — Scope | Disability forum

ESA Renewed - Can I get report?


After recently completing a ESA 50 form, I was kept in the Support Group.

My last (and only) medical assessment was when I was first placed in the group, and since then
I have completed the ESA several times, and I was just wondering can should I now,
ask for a report regaridng this dicision, because the letther is from the Job Center,
and no a dicison maker.

Alternatively I could just leave it.. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,442 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning, sir, one reason you have remained in the support group is that your assessments have been paper based as your health concerns, conditions are so overwhelming that a physical assessment would not and is not necessary to determine the correct award. Yes you can request a copy of your report but as you have gone through the process many times it maybe a pointless exercise. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,626 Disability Gamechanger

    Decision letter come from DWP decision maker and they are the only ones that make decisions. They don't come from your local Job centre.

    As you've always been in the Support Group with most paper based assessments, i see no point in requesting the assessment report, of course it's your decision whether you do or not.
  • Capt_Willard
    Capt_Willard Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Firstly thanks for the replies but @poppy123456 I maybe a lot of things to a lot of people, but I am not a liar....

    At the top the letter it says 'Jobcenterplus' and the address is far from my local one.

    The letter ends with a name and the word 'manager,' not Decision Maker.

    Letters from the DWP are different and normally from Belfast.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,626 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    I never called you a liar and i'm sorry that you thought that. Having claimed ESA since 2013 myself and had 3 assessments, one being a paper based, i must be honest i've never once received a decision letter from my local job centre and i've never heard of anyone else receiving it from there either.

    As a community champion here on scope i would never knowingly give any incorrect advice. My knowledge comes from my own personal experiences and extensive benefit research.

    If you do decide to request the assessment report then it's ESA/DWP you will need to contact.
  • Capt_Willard
    Capt_Willard Member Posts: 6 Listener

    Everyone's experience and location is different.

    If you want, I can scan the first page, redact my address and you will see what I am referring to.

    The first page is basically about amounts of money to be paid, the rest is going to take a long time to redact..

    The reason I put the post up was because, (for at least 7 years) I have only received letters from 'Jobcenterplus'  and that's what prompted my curiosity to ask myself why;
    There is no Decision Maker?
    Who is assessing the form (apart form ATOS or Capita)
    And is there a report available and if so should I ask for one?

    So hopefully you can now see why I asked this question to begin with.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,626 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no need to put the letter on the forum, i believe what you're saying. I've just never hear of this before but the saying is true "you learn something new everyday" I'm no expert in the benefit system, that's for sure but i do have good knowledge.

    Work capability assessments are done by the health assessment advisory service, see link.

    When filling out the ESA50 form it's usually sent to them and they do the assessments, whether it's paper based or face to face, there's always a report written. Without this a decision can't be made. The report is then sent back to DWP and a decision maker makes the decision.

    Case managers are lower grade than a decision maker and usually a case manager will only make decisions on a PIP claim.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,626 Disability Gamechanger
    To add to the above, personally, i don't think there's any need to request the report but that's entirely your decision, you're entitled to a copy if you want it. Hope this helps.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,566 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Capt_Willard, how are you doing?


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.