Taking the DWP to a small claims court? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Taking the DWP to a small claims court?

samuel88
samuel88 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I won my PIP appeal on the 14th of October, however they have still not started payments. I rang them yesterday and they confirmed that they were not appealing nor have they asked for a SOR but couldn't tell me when I'm going to get my money. Do you think issuing a letter before action might prompt them to make payment?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news on the Tribunal win. Backdated money can take 8 weeks after a Tribunal win and about the same time to put your award into payment.

No, a letter before action isn't going to help here, i'm afraid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    If the 8 weeks had passed, how would this person take the dwp to the small claims court and would this person get legal aid?
  • poppy123456
    It hasn't reached 8 weeks and no they wouldn't get legal aid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    What’s up with these people they have waited so long for their tribunal then win and can’t wait or become impatient with the DWP waiting for their back payments, you won’t be short changed, you will be paid in full. 
  • samuel88
    wilko said:
    What’s up with these people they have waited so long for their tribunal then win and can’t wait or become impatient with the DWP waiting for their back payments, you won’t be short changed, you will be paid in full. 
    If the shoe was on the other foot and we owed the DWP money do you think they'd accept being told 'wait at least 8 weeks?'
  • samuel88
    edited November 2019
    Misscleo said:
    If the 8 weeks had passed, how would this person take the dwp to the small claims court and would this person get legal aid?
    You don't really need a solicitor to go to the small claims court. You just pay a small fee and in fact, the court is basically the same as a Tribunal, the only difference being that the small claims court has the power to enforce it's judgements!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes they may be desperate for the money, remember they have had to wait 12 plus months for their case to be heard can't they wait for their correct payment to be sorted out, otherwise they will be reposting is this the correct money for back pay. All these things take time it's not instant coffee. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Somebody got out the wrong side again and manners cost nothing. 
  • samuel88
    edited November 2019
    The small claims court is irrelevant here. It has no jurisdiction for several reasons.

1 - entitlement has been decided and the route for that is first tier tribunal. 
    2 - effectively the DWP, in small claims lingo, have admitted liability and agreed to pay. There is therefore nothing for the small claims court to do even if they had jurisdiction.
    3 - you can’t pick your route. The tribunal route is the one agreed by law.
    4 - an administrative delay can be the subject of judicial review if it’s unreasonable but only if there’s urgency and all other remedies, like complaint, have been exhausted. There’s no urgency here and other remedies have not been exhausted. The cost of a JR is likely to exceed the arrears by some distance.
    5 - we’ve no idea how much the arrears are. Some arrears are so large the payments need to be split and that requires specific permissions. 
    But a Tribunal isn't legally binding, so if the DWP wanted to they could just say to anyone 'we're not going to appeal, but we're not going to pay you either'. What then? Surely it would be the same process as when anyone is owed money? You take them to the county/small claims court...
  • poppy123456
    You will receive your back dated money but it can take 8 weeks, sometimes longer. Ring them again tomorrow morning and ask for another update on your backdated money.
  • samuel88
    samuel88 said:
    The small claims court is irrelevant here. It has no jurisdiction for several reasons.

1 - entitlement has been decided and the route for that is first tier tribunal. 
    2 - effectively the DWP, in small claims lingo, have admitted liability and agreed to pay. There is therefore nothing for the small claims court to do even if they had jurisdiction.
    3 - you can’t pick your route. The tribunal route is the one agreed by law.
    4 - an administrative delay can be the subject of judicial review if it’s unreasonable but only if there’s urgency and all other remedies, like complaint, have been exhausted. There’s no urgency here and other remedies have not been exhausted. The cost of a JR is likely to exceed the arrears by some distance.
    5 - we’ve no idea how much the arrears are. Some arrears are so large the payments need to be split and that requires specific permissions. 
    But a Tribunal isn't legally binding, so if the DWP wanted to they could just say to anyone 'we're not going to appeal, but we're not going to pay you either'. What then? Surely it would be the same process as when anyone is owed money? You take them to the county/small claims court...
    That’s not true. What gives you that impression? A tribunal decision is absolutely legally binding unless set aside or overturned at UT.

If you win at appeal and can’t get payment you have numerous options to enforce payment.
    It states in the letter they sent with the appeal decision 'Unlike the courts, the tribunal has no legal powers to enforce it's decision'
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @samuel88, is there anything further we can do to help?
    Scope

• maggy
    maggy Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Send the bailiffs they would
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    maggy said:
    Send the bailiffs they would
    This thread is two years old.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MrDan
    MrDan Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I have just issued proceedings against the DWP for over £15,000 in benefits I have missed out on due to their discrimination, plus damages of over £25,000.

Their legal department are completely different to the normal departments.  That's quite good for me, cos I have been playing them off against each other. It seems the two never ever communication. 

If you want to send a letter before action, the law states that it must be sent to this address: 

London Caxton House
    TOTHILL STREET
    LONDON
    SW1H 9NA

However, they will not receive anything you send to that address because they are all working from home.  There is a notice on their website (somewhere) asking that the below this email address is used instead -  newproceedings@govermentlegal.gov.uk.

Biut, because there is a law stating the above postal address must be used...... well, you get the issue lol I sent my stuff to the email address, and the Judge made and order stating the law says it post be served via the postal address. You might wanna send it to both.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrDan as above this post is 2 years old so doubt the address will be of use to the member now 

If you want to infirm others of this be better to start a new post 
  • MrDan
    janer1967 said:
    @MrDan as above this post is 2 years old so doubt the address will be of use to the member now 

If you want to infirm others of this be better to start a new post 
    Lol I realised after I’d posted
  • MrDan
    Mike,

thanks again. I’ve had a read. A few interesting facts. Like the size of their legal department lol

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.