Pip and I’m scared — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and I’m scared

Options
Tracy1965
Tracy1965 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
I’m wanting to ask for higher rate pip as since my last assessment my health has got worse I’ve been diagnosed with copd high cholesterol and now have heart problems which I have a hospital appointment next Wednesday looking at my arteries as concerns off angina I’m just afraid that if have another assessment they will give me zero again like last year and have to go through fighting them for my benefit back by going to court I just don’t have the strength to do this now my breathing so bad that just to go the bathroom I’m out off breath could someone please help me as it’s making my depression and anxiety worse all I want to do all day is stay in bed because I just keep sleeping also please please someone help 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Tracy, It`s awful having to go through all this anxiety, especially when you are struggling so much.
    The thing about PIP is that it isn't your diagnosis that wins you the necessary points to get the higher award, but it is about how it affects you and how much help you need to do everyday activities.

eg..if breathing problems like COPD make it hard for you to wash and dress yourself and being helped by a bit of equipment or a person, makes it easier..then that`s how you get more points.

So you need to request a new claim form and show how things have changed for the worse.

Take care chick xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tracy1965 - Have a look through the information here to see the descriptors used in PIP to see if you then think it worthwhile to claim for worsening of your problems. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Tracy, PIP is not awarded on a diagnosis or illness or the amount of prescription drugs you are taking, but on how you the claiment cope manage the PIP descriptiors on a daily basis safely, repeatably and in a timely manner. When you reapply for pip concentrate on how you cope and manage on a daily basis the PIP descriptiors. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,022 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Reporting a change of circumstances will mean you'll be sent more forms to fill in and return with all your evidence to support your claim. Another face to face assessment is most likely because most have them. Yes, there's a chance you could lose everything you already have, as well as the award remaining the same or be increased.

A diagnosis, doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. My advice is to have a read of the link above before reporting changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Tracey1965 Pleased to meet you.

Please can I ask are you receiving any support with your mental health ?

If used this charity. 

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Get help with your mental health issues and wellbeing.

Floating support and advice on benefits. Especially the assessment stage, form filling in.

I have mental health issues. I am one of the team of community champions.

Used these as well.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Last one is an advocate charity for those having problems with medical professionals and need another voice.

All charities might not be in all areas. Sorry to say that.

Please if I can help or be supportive please ask.

Wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.